15 - The Dark Lord's Return

CAROLINE'S POV

The next morning, we all gathered in the great hall for Cedric's memorial. Nobody had seen Harry until this morning, and we decided to not ask any questions. Some questions are better left unanswered. Dumbledore slowly rose from his chair. "Today we acknowledge a very terrible loss," his voice was somber, yet strong. "Cedric Diggory as you all know, was exceptionally hard working, intricately fair minded, and most importantly a fierce, fierce, friend." Cho sniffled at the Ravenclaw table, a girl I knew as Mandy rubbing her back. "I think therefore you have a right to know how Cedric died. Cedric Diggory was murdered by Lord Voldemort," the crowd went up in gasps. My stomach began to churn as I looked over at Draco, sitting silently at the Slytherin table.

"The ministry does not wish for me to tell you this, but not doing so would be an insult to his memory," he continued speaking, but I couldn't hear any of it. I pictured my mother laying dead on the kitchen floor. I pictured the men I had killed screaming in pain as dirt and vines twisted through their lungs. I looked at the scars on my hands from the golden strings that had formed those three white roses in my backyard. "Caroline," a hand waved in front of my face. "huh?" I looked up to see Hermione, a concerned look on her face. "Is it-" "Yeah, my mother," I mumbled back. I swiftly rose out of my chair, eyeing Draco on the way out.

Draco ran after me, my eyes filling with tears. He caught up with me, spinning me around to face him. "Are you alright?" he asked me quietly. I opened my mouth to speak but all that came out was silence. "Hey, hey, it's okay, you don't have to tell me what happened," he wrapped a hand around my waist, hugging me tightly, his other hand wrapped delicately around my head, pulling me in towards his chest. All I could do was cry. streams of tears rolled down my cheeks, falling onto his sweater.

After a while, my crying began to fade. I pulled back, looking into his grey eyes. My breathing slowed as I gazed into the calm inside of them, like the eye of a storm. "When I put you to bed after the ball, you- you used the past tense," he said gently, wiping dried tears off of my face. "Yeah, I did," I bit my lip. Should I tell him? I told Ginny, Hermione, Harry and Ron. They were the only ones who knew about my mother. Even so, nobody knew about how I had killed two of Voldemort's men. "Is she, you know," he looked at the ground. He was flustered, I could tell he was curious but didn't want to intrude in my business. "Yeah, I was five," I stuttered. I could tell he understood, and he took me by the arm. I put my head on his shoulder.

he walked me all the way back to the common room. "Thank you," I gave him a small smile and a kiss on the cheek. "Of course," he squeezed my hand before I walked through the door. Shutting it behind me, I walked downstairs to the boys' dormitories. I hesitated, then proceeded to knock on Harry's door. "Go away," he yelled angrily. "Harry?" I said softly. He opened the door, tears streaming down his face. He stood there for a few moments, then pulled me into a tight hug.

"I'm so sorry," he cried. "For what? You didn't do anything wrong," I replied, pulling away. "It's my fault he's back," "Don't you dare say that Harry, he's incredibly powerful, whatever happened was against your own will," I assured him. "We'll fight them together, get revenge for my mother. Our mothers," I gave him a small smile, giving him another short hug. "You need anything, you better tell me," I punched his arm. "Thanks," he nodded as I walked out, closing the door behind me. Revenge was definitely the right word for it.

DRACO'S POV

She'd confirmed it. Her mother was dead. That's why she wouldn't let me touch her hair pins. That's why her eyes glimmered slightly whenever she mentioned her; and it had something to do with Voldemort. My father was a death eater, I prayed it had nothing to do with him. The fact that my family was even involved made me feel guilty. I just wanted a normal magical life, and I had taken away hers. Maybe I hadn't been there, but I felt as though it was my fault. I rubbed the crystal on the ring she had given me. "Please stay safe, they might come back for you too," I whispered under my breath. The thought of The Dark Lord killing or even hurting her made shivers run down my spine. I wouldn't be able to live with myself.

CAROLINE'S POV

I settled into a plush chair in the common room, as Hermione and Ginny sat quietly on the couch. "What if he comes after you?" Hermione said suddenly. "It's not me you should be worried about, I'm nothing to him. But Harry.." my voice trailed off. If Voldemort had failed to kill him last night, he would one hundred percent come back. My main concern was with the curly headed witch. I remembered her vividly from that day my mother died- I doubt she'd recognize me, but if I ever channeled my powers, I knew she'd know it was me in a heartbeat.

After many years of research and practice in private, I had some knowledge on what I could do. I understood that the night she had used crucio against me, I had absorbed the energy. That's how I was able to kill off the other death eaters. I could only use my powers by absorbing other energies around me, therefore powering, well, my powers. I could do small things, such as when I created the white roses, without any major source of power, but anything as large as what I had done that day required a boost. I also know knew the witch's name. I'd seen her in the paper last year.

Her name was Bellatrix Lestrange.