3 - A Ring

November, two months later

It was late November. I had seen Draco a lot, but only in short interactions. He was incredibly flirty towards me, especially when Harry and Ron were around. I'd spent most of my time with Ginny outside of class. It was Saturday today, and Professor McGonagall had a surprise for us. I'd been wondering what it was going to be for days. The boys and girls all gathered into an empty room. I sat next to Ginny and Hermione. Once we were seated, Professor McGonagall began to speak.

"This year, due to the Tri-Wizard Championship, we will be hosting the traditional Yule Ball. Boys must ask the girls to attend, and you will be wearing formal attire." Ron whispered something to Harry, and began laughing. "This won't end well," Ginny whispered to me. "Now I will demonstrate how to dance. Ron Weasley," She motioned at him to stand. He looked at the floor. I giggled. "Mr. Weasley," she said again, in a stricter tone. He stood and walked towards her. "Put your hand on my waist," she said, placing his hand on her waist. Fred and George whistled. I lightly elbowed Ginny, she started laughing. Mr. Filch turned on the music, and they began to dance.

I looked at Malfoy, who was sitting at the end by himself. He had already been looking at me when I glanced over. He gave me a small smirk. Whenever we shared that look it was always the same- strangely comforting. A small connection, though I didn't quite understand what it meant. I looked back at them dancing, trying to ignore his gaze. I could still feel it when I looked away. I didn't know what I was feeling. I was confused.

After the "dance class", everyone crowded Ron. People made fun of him as we walked out, and his face was flushed. "Nice going Ron, can't get a date you go for a teacher," Draco laughed, walking out of the room. I couldn't help but laugh at the joke, it was quite funny. Draco brushed past me, his hand touching mine. He looked back at me with that same smile, then kept walking. "I'll see you guys," I said to Hermione, grabbing her arm. "See ya," They said. I walked into a side corridor, taking the long way to one of my favorite small court yards. Not a lot of people knew about it- I kept it's location to myself. It had a small fountain and was surrounded by vines and wildflowers. The sun filtered through it's small moon shaped opening in the ceiling.

As I entered, I bumped head first into Malfoy. I fell backwards, and he landed on top of me, his books falling out of his bag. "Why don't you learn to use your feet correctly, Bellegreen?" He snarfed. "I'm surprised you remembered my last name, Malfoy." I used the same tone towards him, a sly grin on my face. His blonde messy hair was in his eyes, and I could smell his cologne. I slowly raised my hand to brush the hair out of his face. He tightly gripped his hand around my wrist. "That a reflex?" I giggled. His grip loosened and I moved his hair to the side. "You gonna leave?" He asked, in a softer tone. "You gonna get off the top of me or do you wanna stay?" I smirked at him. He quickly got off, taking his hand off my wrist and picking up his school books. "Next time you knock me over I'm gonna make you pay for it," He said. "Yeah right." I walked past him, sitting down in the small courtyard. He picked up his bag, hesitated for a moment, and walked away.

I sat and studied for a few hours, then met Hermione and Ginny in the great hall for dinner. I walked through the great hall doors in my skirt and cardigan. I sat down, still studying my potions book. "You're turning into me Caroline," Hermione said, "you've been studying for hours," she took a bite of roast beef. "I need to get an outstanding in potions this year," I exclaimed, slowly studying the pages and ingredients. "Well, which potion are you on now?" Ginny asked me. "Calming Draught," I said. "Could use some of that right now," Hermione said. "You coming with Harry and I to watch people put their names in the Goblet of Fire?" She asked me. "Sure, what time?" I asked. "Nine o'clock, we'll meet in the common room," She said. I nodded. "We've got to meet Ron somewhere, but we'll be back in time," Hermione said, as her and Ginny left the table. "Alright," I said.

After I finished my food, I shut my book and slowly started going back to my dormitory. I walked up the grand staircase, up to the fat lady. "Password?" She asked. "Fairy Lights," I said in a monotone voice. I walked inside as the door opened. "Alright, one hour to get ready," I said to myself. I took a fast shower, and put on star earrings and a ring. I grabbed my favorite skirt, and my knit Quidditch sweater, with knee high white socks and black Doc Martens I had bought at the muggle mall in London. I blow dried my hair, and put it up in a high messy pony tail with two strands down the front. "Perfect," I whispered, twirling around in the mirror. I walked down into the common room, putting my robes over my outfit. "ready?" I asked Hermione and Harry. "Yeah," they say, as we walk out of the common room.

We entered the room with the goblet of fire. tons of students from Beaxbatons and Durmstrang along with Hogwarts students clustered around the Goblet. Students threw pieces of paper with their names inside, as others cheered them on. We sat down on the bleachers to the side of the room, when Fred and George ran into the room smiling and laughing. "What's going on?" I asked them. A crowd formed around. "Ageing potion," they said, as people cheered. "It's not going to work," Hermione said, looking back down at her textbook. "And why's that?" they asked. "That's an age line, Dumbledore drew it himself. Dumbledore wouldn't allow something as pathetically dim-witted as an age potion work," she said. "That's why it'll work, it's so pathetically dim-witted," they laughed. "Bottom's up," they drank the potion and jumped into the circle. People applauded as they stood. The Goblet began to bubble, and glowing strings of water threw the twins into the air and out of the circle. Their hair began to turn gray, and beards grew from their chins. My mouth dropped. Hermione looked unsurprised.

After a few punches were thrown, I returned to the common room. Lorelei greeted me at the bottom of the stairs. I pet her on the head, and picked her up to go back upstairs. I changed out of my clothes, and took off my jewelry. My robes hung on the side of my door, and I threw the rest into my laundry basket. My bed was never made, so I slipped right under the covers after taking out my pony tail. As I turned to click my lamp off, I noticed a small, thin silver ring sitting on the side of my bedside. There was a small snake etched on the inside. Underneath the ring was a note. "For you, darling."

Malfoy.