26 - You're Alright

The next morning...

I caught Draco by the arm before he could walk into the great hall for breakfast. "What're you doing?" he asked, as I dragged him into a corridor. "I have to ask you something," I said quietly. "Ask away," he smiled, placing his hands on my hips. "Harry, Ron, Ginny, and Hermione are helping me train using my golden magic in the room of requirement, with Dumbledore's permission of course, and I wanted to ask if you might want to help?" I asked, flashing my puppy dog eyes. "Does that mean I have to be friends with them?" he questioned. "No, just, show them respect when we're training. You don't have to talk to them or be friends with them, just don't be rude," I compromised. "Alright, sure," he responded. "Now c'mon, I'm hungry," he pulled me into the great hall laughing.

He dropped me off at the Gryffindor table, giving me a kiss on the cheek goodbye. "So?" Ginny asked. "It's a yes, I said to meet us after transfiguration," I smiled. We ate our breakfast, then went straight to Divination. I sat with Harry, Ron and Hermione at a table. Draco sat across the room with Pansy and Goyle. Pansy had been leaving me alone recently, I didn't quite understand why. Maybe I could ask Draco. I slept through nearly the entire class. I wasn't even tired- I was just bored. I jerked my head off the table as the bell rang. "Get up," Hermione grabbed my arm. "Coming," I said, picking up my bag. We sat through potions, then charms, and finally it was time for transfiguration.

"Professor McGonagall, may I speak to you after class by any chance?" I asked politely. "Of course dear," "Thank you," I nodded with a smile, taking a seat next to Draco, putting my hand in his. "What was that all about?" he asked. "I need a spell to animate statues for training," I said, opening my textbook. "Today we're going to be practicing vera verto. This spell will transform the animal in front of you into a water goblet. This is a difficult spell to master, so don't feel discouraged if you don't succeed on your first try," she assured us. She taught us the spell, and gave us the last 10 minutes of class to attempt it.

"Vera verto," I cantered. My rat turned into a goblet with a tail. "Lovely," Draco teased. "Oh please, I'd like to see you do better," I smirked, turning the failed goblet back into a rat. "How about we bet on it?" he looked at me. "With what?" "If I do it right first try, you owe me a kiss," he smirked. "Go ahead then," I nudged him. "Vera verto," he commanded. The rat turned into a perfect, blue, glass water goblet. "You definitely practiced that first, that's not fair!" I whined. "What, don't want to kiss me, Bellegreen?" he smiled. "I never said that," I flirted, turning back to my book. The bell rang, and Draco began to pull me outside. "Wait, I have to talk to McGonagall," I insisted. "Right," he let go of my hand. "Just wait outside the door," I smiled.

"I know why you're here, Caroline," she assured me, motioning for me to sit down. "Did Dumbledore tell you?" I asked, taking a seat in the chair across from her desk. "Indeed, he said you may come to me for help. What do you need?" She asked kindly. "Dumbledore's given me permission to train in the room of requirement, I was wondering if you could teach me a spell to enchant statues to fight," I said. "Ah, of course. It is very difficult, it may require a few private lessons if you're up for it," She asked. "Of course," I smiled. "Does this Friday work for you?" "I'll be there," I thanked her.

I walked out to see Harry, Ron, Hermione and Ginny standing awkwardly across from Draco. "So," Hermione said stiffly. "She's going to teach me the spell on Friday," I took Draco's hand. "Come on, we have work to do," I said, dragging Draco by the arm to the room of requirement, the others following closely behind. "You still owe me a kiss," Draco said quietly in my ear as we approached the door. "I haven't forgotten in these past five minutes, Draco," I laughed.

We walked into the training room. "Woah," Draco gasped. "Cool, right?" I smiled. Hermione pulled three statues into the open, placing a bottle of water next to me. I tied my hair back into a pony tail. "Now, try to destroy all three statues before the sword fades," Hermione said. Harry, Ron and Ginny sat on the bench to the left, while Draco sat quietly on the one to the right. "So, how does this work?" he asked. I realized Draco had never watched me 'perform' before. "You'll see. As a warning, I may pass out after, so don't freak out. It's normal," I assured him. He looked at me confused as Hermione stood behind me, her wand pointed towards my back. "What the hell is she doing?" Draco said, completely baffled. "It's to give me extra energy," I said. "I'm going to be fine," I guaranteed.

"Ready?" Hermione asked. "Go for it," I closed my eyes, tightening my muscles in preparation. "Stupefy," she ordered, hitting me straight in the back powerfully. I absorbed the energy, my veins and eyes glowing, as Draco sat in awe. "Form it carefully, then kill the three statues," Hermione said loudly. "Got it," I clenched my teeth. I weaved the golden strings into the sword I'd imagined in my mind, creating the same one each and every time. I walked towards the first statue, holding the grip in my hand, slashing the blade into the statue. "Second one," Hermione yelled. I walked slightly slower towards the third statue, raising the lightweight edge over my shoulder, slicing the air, hitting the statue with brute force. "Final one, you got this," Hermione encouraged me. My legs began to tremble.

I lifted the blade over my head, lowering it onto the final statue vertically. The halves of the statue crashed to the ground as I fell backwards onto the floor, out of breath. Draco ran up to me, gently lifting me up onto his lap. "That was bloody brilliant," he gushed, brushing the sweat off my forehead. "Thanks," I replied breathily. My eyes went in and out of vision as I tried to inhale more oxygen. "You're alright," he hugged me tighter to his chest.

I tilted my head upwards, facing his, giving him a gentle kiss. I smiled.

"I know."