Chapter 16

It is less running now, more climbing. I am surprised by Katniss and Peeta's stamina, although I can see Peeta struggling with his prosthetic. After about fourty minutes we make rest and Katniss climbs a tree. I sit next to Finnick who let Mags down gently.

"She will see the dead and want to kill us", I state and he nods.

If I kill her now, there wasn't yet a deal Snow had to follow.

"That she will. But she also knows that we are stronger."

So as Katniss climbs down from the tree we get up and I pull out my katana, pointing it to the ground while Finnick has his trident raised slightly. Not yet, no, I...I would have to see, and agree to the deal, even if it would cost me everything I stand for. Everything I believe in. But for him, for him, it would be worth it.

"Now. Did they all hold hands? Taken a vow of non-violence?", Finnick mocks.

"No"

"See Katniss, that is because whatever happened yesterday, is the past. No one in this arena is here by chance", Finnick explains and I speak up.

"Except maybe Peeta", I say and the boy looks at me almost confused while Katniss knows what I mean. Finnick knows. Mags knows. All the victors do.

"And before you judge everybody else because they killed, I want to remind you that you shot to kill with Gloss and Brutus."

She is tense, a calculating look in her eyes.

"Honey. Raise that bow and you will be dead in two seconds. You wouldn't stand a chance against one, let alone both of us, I thought you learned that already", I say taking a step towards her, my eyes hard.

"I made a promise to Haymitch, I told you that much. But believe me that if you try to harm Finnick, I will kill you."

Katniss doesn't move her bow and Finnick grins.

"What would Haymitch say?", he says, almost joking.

"Haymitch isn't here", the girl drawls out.

I sigh. "Yes sadly. He would have made much better company", I say, and can almost hear the laughter of the audience.

"Come on Peeta, let's continue moving", I say and help him up. As much as I like the boy, he is leverage now. If she makes a move on Finnick, I am close enough to Peeta that she wouldn't be able to reach him. She lowers her bow and puts back the arrow she had in between her fingers.

"How many are dead?", the boy asks and the tension is broken as Finnick takes Mags once again.

"Hard to say. At least six", Katniss says.

"We need water. And a camp and cover when it gets dark. Most tributes with some brain left will be hunting for us", I say as we continue climbing and after some time we finally, finally seem to be close to the top.

"Maybe we will find some water on the other side. A stream or lake", the girl who walks behind us says as Peeta uses the machete to make way through the foliage.

I put my katana back and hold my bow, scanning our surroundings.

Then Katniss screams out Peeta's name, who flies into me. I don't see what happened and now I am knocked to the ground hitting my shoulder on a root that is showing through the ground, the quiver protecting most of it, but I think it will turn blue anyway. Then I hear Katniss's desperate cries.

"He's not breathing! He's not breathing!"

Finnick sets down Mags and moves over to Peeta, closing his nostrils.