Chapter 7

I am almost looking forward to the hours of training. While I am good at fighting and the basics such as making fire and knowing edible plants after I spent nights in the arena studying the book they had provided me within the backpacks, I still have a lot to learn.

My breakfast consists of quark with fruit, some spinach quiche and smoothies as well as eggs and bacon. Then I head down to the training, while Silas is still eating his cake.

The training centre is not being used by many this year. Atala, who also lead training in my games, makes the same speech as every year and I look around, studying the stations. I decide to join Gloss and Cashmere at the knife-throwing station, which Cashmere then promptly vacates.

"Don't take it personally", Gloss speaks up but I put up my hand, effectively stopping him.

"I understand, we are going to fight each other in there, better to distance oneself. Makes it easier to kill."

He gives me a small smile. "I won't."

"Won't what?"

"Kill you. I once promised you that I would never hurt you. That promise still stands", he explains.

"As long as it's not necessary to save Finnick or Johanna, I won't kill you either."

And with that, a pact is made. We throw knives for a while, the humanoid-shaped targets dispersing into orange cubes one after the other. I feel eyes on me and when I turn around I see Katniss averting her gaze at the knot making station.

"I got a date with the girl on fire. See you around", I say after I collected the knives that laid on the ground and leave Gloss.

"Hello, Katniss."

"Talisa", she greets.

"The loop has to be spun once", I point out, examining the knot she was making and the tablet that explained it. The trainers have been replaced with technology this year. Maybe they are afraid the victors might accidentally kill one of them.

"Thanks. You did this before?"

"No. You just overlooked step 4b", I explain and sit down next to her.

We make some knots in silence until I get bored.

"So. Two years in a row. That is shitty", I muse and break the silence.

"You could say that."

"And all because you couldn't kill Peeta."

"That's...", Katniss wants to protest.

"That is true. I don't judge you. Not much at least."

Katniss nods slowly.

"I never wanted any of this."

"Of course not sweetheart. Come, I will introduce you to Mags. You will like her and we can stop making these stupid knots. Not like we are going to use a boat in the arena anyways and food we can get by hunting."
Katniss follows me silently.

"Mags, this is Katniss, last years victor", I say and Mags signs to me.

"She wants to know about the blonde girl", I translate.

"Oh, you can use sign language?", Katniss asks.

"Yeah. Mags had a stroke before I even met her. But she is smart and a nice person to talk to, so I learned. The girl?"

"My sister. Primrose. She was only twelve."

Mags signs again. "That was very brave", I translate.

The brunette girl only nods slowly and sits down opposite to Mags and we both learn how to make fish hooks while I continue translating for Mags.

"The kids on TV, from your reaping. Haymitch said that they are Marianns", the girl says and asks an unsaid question.

"Yes. Mariann and her husband helped me a great deal after my Games and became family. Their children saw me as an aunt of sorts. I am sorry you didn't get a chance to say goodbye to your sister."
As a payment, Katniss offers Mags a lesson in archery, but Mags points towards me.

"I guess I can teach you if that is what Mags wants", she says and a chuckle can be heard behind me.

"What is so amusing Finnick?", the younger girl questions.

Finnick rests his arms on my shoulders.

"Talisa doesn't need to be taught."

I stand up, Finnick's hand now around my waist. I guess we aren't as secretive anymore. I mean what are they gonna do?

"As kind as it is, I can speak for myself, darling", I look at Katniss, "he is right though. But I would like to train with you."

She gives a curt nod and we walk over to the archery station, which is in a room that is separated by a glass wall. We look through the different settings and enter our numbers, then choose the highest skill level and get into the dark space, each of us with our bows ready.

The same humanoid light shapes as in the knife-throwing field attack us and we quickly divide them between us without speaking, shooting arrow after arrow, dodging weapons and swapping places from time to time. Katniss shoots the final opponent and the lights turn back on.

"Not bad girl on fire. Better than I would have suspected. That is not the training from the last games is it?"

She shakes her head. "My father", she says, there is a tone in her voice, hidden pain, which makes me guess that he is dead. The interviews from last year help ith my suspicion.

Only then we focus on the outside of the glass where the other victors have assembled and watched us. I give a mocking bow and my friends' grin, while Katniss seems flustered.

"Be proud girl on fire. You are now one of us", I pat her on the shoulder and exit the station and chat with Johanna who has adopted a nude look, still glistening from the oil on her body.

Finnick leans close. "Looks like we got another artist in our rows", he says, his breath tickling my ear and I follow his gaze. Peeta is at the camouflage station

"Seems like I know my next station. See you guys at lunch"