Chapter XXII

Breakfast is tense, I know that my tributes are nervous about training.

"So, as already said yesterday, learn survival skills. Making fires, finding shelter, edible plants. Basic fighting skills are good, try to learn long range weapons, since you'll not get strong enough for close combat in such a short time. But some training with daggers would be good, for both of you. Amera, try to not be as visible, so no trying to show off, no talking to careers, no fighting with others. I will be watching with some of the other mentors and then try to get you some alliances."

They nod and continue to eat.

Later that day I am looking at the training, Johanna sitting next to me, while Finnick is talking to District 1 and 2 mentors.

Kellan is doing quite good, currently focusing on making traps, while talking to the District 7 girl and 5er boy.

Amera is with the trainer from the knife station, but leaves as soon as the District 2 boy joins.

I smile, they listen and they are doing well. I join the District 5 mentors and we agree that if both our tributes continue working in that matter we would consider an alliance. So that is quite good news. Silas isn't there, maybe wanting me to establish contacts on my own.

Lunch is okay, the tables a split by Districts meaning that, 7,8 and 9 are sitting together, so I have Johanna, but the mentors from eight do not particularly like me, but that's fine, I don't need anybody to like me. I am fine with the people I have around me. Finnick and Johanna, because I can be friends with them without being afraid that Snow would hurt them. Because he already did.

The afternoon went by similar and I could organize an alliance for Amera with the District 12 and 11 girl.

In the evening I tell them the news and together with Silas, we start practicing for the interviews. The walk, the smile, the wave, the laugh, the smirk, the giggle. If you did it wrong you'd be the Capitols figure of fun. They try their best, but I am happy that we started early with practice.

Of course I went back onto the roof that night, of course Finnick was there, but this time Johanna was too. So we sit in the hottub and talk the night away. They don't ask questions about the bruises on my ribs, the fading ones on my thighs. We talk about ridiculous stuff like dying our hair pink or something like that. But one of the ideas I actually like. Getting a tattoo. And I already know what kind I want to have. Maybe I will actually colour my hair, but only a different shade of red since I very much like my actual hair colour. Maybe a deeper shade of red, or brighter, who knows.

We talk about pets and about fashion and I never had such a good time, it even tops learning to swim with Finnick.

I am overly tired, but in a very good mood the next day. Training is good and I am sure they will get halfway decent scores.

And I was right, Amera got a 6 and Kellan an 7. We train for the interviews a few more hours the next day and then I tell them to go relax, catch a breath before being presented to the world like an object once more.

3 weeks passed and obviously my tributes died. And I was right, the boy from District 2 won and I am just hoping that he gets to live a happy life. With his family and without being sold.

My visits in the Capitol get longer and I see more and more victors in the apartment.

My appointments don't change, except that I was once booked by a woman, which was very, very weird for me, but I grew mostly indifferent to that.

I use my time in the Capitol now and go climbing, get a personal trainer, visit some fun pools with Finnick and fancy restaurants with Johanna. We also went to the casino once and I absolutely rock it and the Capitol people lose all the money they bet, so we decide to go more often.

Finnick and I grow closer and there are some moments between us that make me question my feelings towards him. When we go to the waterpark and use the slides together. When he surprises me with a visit to an art gallery and his eyes never leave me or when we go to the opera. The nights out, when we dance our sorrows and memories away and he pushes away others hands, when we just stare at each other while we move to the music. When we talk over the phone for hours on end. When he describes the beach of District 4 and I draw it, his head so close to mine, his lips brushing my ears as he watches me paint. When we make a movie night on my birthday and I fall asleep in his arms. But I never act on it, on that feeling in the pit of my stomach.

It is only a week until the next games and I am in the Capitol once more and decide to get the tattoo I talked about almost a year ago.

I brought a little more money to ensure the artist's discreteness, because I do not want a newspaper article about the tattoo tomorrow.

It's wolves. Polar wolves to be exact. The same ones I had in the arena. They walk over the scars on my sides and two tiny words are written at the bottom. Try again.