Chapter XXXXV

It is around noon and I am preparing dough for noodles when I hear a wild knocking on my door.

I hurriedly wash my hands and grab one of the daggers in the drawers in the livingroom and then turn to open the door carefully, dagger held before me.

The sight surprises me.

It is Colin and two other guys. One of which is passed out. Balanced on the shoulders of Colin and the other one.

"What on earth..."

"We need your help. He got twelve lashes and it's bad. Please."

I lower my weapon and wave them inside, slamming the door and leading them into my storage room.

I remove the supplies from the table and put on a fresh cloth and they place him down on it.

"What's his name?", I ask Colin.

"That's Aiden. Can you help him?"

"I can try. Get some towels from the kitchen and cool them with cold water. There is ice in the freezer, use it. Crush it and make some more. I will be right back."

I rush to get the first-aid-kits when another knock sounds.

Silas stands in front of the door.

"Hey Silas...", I greet him while closing the door behind me.

"Hey. I hoped we could talk?"

"I don't really have time right now, sorry...", I apologize and open the door again, but he grabs my wrist.

"Talisa! We really need to talk!", he exclaims angrily.
"Yes. Another time. Let go of me!", I free my wrist and slam the door in his face, hurrying back to the boys who already did what I asked them to do and are still crushing the ice.

I ordered another kit, this time with more medications and can now give Aiden a shot against the pain. He will need it because I need to clean the wounds on his back.

I take the towels and pack them with ice, to be ready to cool it down after the disinfection.

"Hold him down boys. This is going to hurt him."

Colin and the other guy, whose name I still don't know, look at me weirdly but do as I said. And I use disinfectant dabbed on a small towel and put it on his back. Lash for lash. Aiden lets out screams that ring in my ears and I take another towel to have him bite on it. I also have to remove some dirt with tweezers and one lash is still bleeding so I spend some time pressing bandaids against it to stop the bleeding which doesn't help with the pain. But finally I get it to stop and can put some sheets with the crushed, now slightly melted ice on his back to cool it. Aiden passed out again.

"There is not much we can do now, except change the sheets and ice. Do you want some noodles? I was just making some. And you still need to tell me your name, mystery guy."

"I am Mason. And I'd love something to eat."

"Stay with your friend. Renew the ice when needed."

I retreat to the kitchen and cook the noodles and mix tomatoes with garlic and chili paste. Basilicum and Organo complete the sauce.

I ready three plates when Colin gets some more ice and refills the molds. I enter the room with him and help him spread the ice on Aidens back. Then I sit down on the floor and start eating the pasta. Colin and Mason follow my example.

"These paintings are great", Colin says and I shrug. "Thanks"

"How long do you think it will take to heal?"