Chapter XXXI

"Well that was predictable", Haymitch sighs and tries to grab the bottle from me.

"Nuh uh. You got through these games mostly sober. Don't screw it up now."

Then, Katniss takes out nightlock berries, and they threaten to kill themselves so that no victor remains and the hurried voice of Claudius Templesmith can be heard.

"Well, shit", I mumble and hand Haymitch his bottle, but only after I empty it and my throat is burning.  Finnick looks at me with raised eyebrows, but if I wake up in the middle of the night because of alcohol or nightmares or whatever causes it, it doesn't matter. But Haymitch now has to save Katniss' ass, by getting her to play the love story, better than she seems to be able to be because her interview was moderate at best.

"Have fun telling Katniss that she just became Snows' biggest enemy", Finnick says and I turn to Effie.

"You do you. Turn her upside down and make her do what you think is best. Because you know what these people want", I tell her and she nods enthusiastically.

"I would guess you have at least 2 weeks prep time. We'll see each other in half a year, but you could always call."

He nods. "Maybe I will. Maybe I should call Finnick, asking him how to handle stubborn girls"

I punch him playfully, while Finnick grins.

"I am not that stubborn! I am a very lovable person"

"Yeah, to people you like. We are lucky to be them. In your training for your games for example. You absolutely buried everybody else with your coldness and boldness", Haymitch chuckles and I tense up. Some of these people were actually buried because of me because I had to kill them to go back to my family who also got killed because of me.

I don't notice my breath getting fast and shallow, not my hands curling up in fists, don't hear Haymitch's apology. But I hear Finnicks voice, feel his hand opening my fists.

After a few minutes, it's over. My mind is working again.

"Sorry", I mumble, but Haymitch shakes his head. "I have this as well, but drink it away. A habit you should not start."

"Yeah, I know that. Even though I am a very funny drunk person."

Finn raises his eyebrows. "You got experience?"

"There are dinner evenings with Mariann and her husband. The philosophical conversations are great", I smile.

"Well maybe you do have to start that habit after all", the District 12 mentor grins.

"You will have to look for another drinking buddy. I am going to bed and then back home. And if you need any help, you can call me. Nighty."
And with that I leave, Finnick following after me.

"We won't see each other for some time. I just got used to having you around all the time", he smiles at me.

"We'll see each other, I mean, we have duties to fulfil here and can use the time in between like we always do", I explain, even though my heart aches at the thought of not seeing him for weeks.

"But now I will miss you even more", he pouts, "God, when I think that I won't see you, won't be able to talk with you, won't be able to touch you, to kiss you..."

"Don't get too sentimental Finnick. We will see each other. And we can talk over the phone. But I will miss you too. I love having you around and I wish we could stay like this, but Finn, we have to make the best out of the situation we are in. And right now we have one night left, so why not spend it together?", I smile softly.

"You can read my mind", he mumbles and grabs my hand, pulling me close as we walk onto my floor and into my room.

There I grab the cotton PJ set on the bed and change into it, while Finnick takes off his pants, leaving on his T-shirt. Probably to make me more comfortable, even though I wouldn't mind the view.

"You are so beautiful", he says, while I struggle to get my head through the hole in the shirt, realizing it is the wrong one, meant for the arm.

"You say that while I am looking like a complete idiot", I chuckle and finally get my head through.

"You were always beautiful. In the brown bead dress of the parade, the golden interview dress. You were beautiful with lobster all over and when wearing my clothes. And you are beautiful even though you are a little dummie."

"You are making me blush, Odair", I look to the floor.

"Another thing that's beautiful"

And at these words, I walk over to him and press my lips to his.

"You are such a dork", I breathe out, before reattaching our lips, deepening the kiss, our tongues caressing each other, while we pull each other closer.

Slowly Finnicks hands wander from around my waist, up and down my back, underneath my shirt, while I tug at his hair and we slowly move to the bed.

Once there he sits down, me straddling his lap, his hands continue exploring my upper body. Inching forward slowly, higher up with every time, until they are at my breasts. He moves over the skin underneath them, caressing the skin of the valley in between them, but never wandering elsewhere. Always looking at my eyes, to make sure he doesn't go too far.

I do the same. My hands move over his chest, slowly tracing his muscles while we kiss. At some point we stop, leaning our forehead together, catching our breath and gazing at each other.

"I don't want to go all the way yet", Finnick says and I smile.

"I don't want to either. We both need time and gain trust. I trust you, I really do and I am so happy to share this with you, but..."

Finnick nods. "I adore you", he mumbles and I give him one more kiss, before climbing off his lap.

"I adore you", I say back, leaning my head on his shoulder, "and I am so happy that I have you in my life fishboy."

"Well, love, I am happy too."
We smile at each other and then I start undoing my braids, Finnick slowly taking my hands away and doing it for me.

Then we settle into bed. Me cuddling up to him after he opens his arms.

"I never thought I would like to be touched in any way again Finn. But that was really nice and I felt safe. With you", I say as I listen to the steady beat of his heart.

"I liked it too. And I am so glad that you feel safe with me, because I feel safe with you as well."

He gives me a kiss on the head and I drift off into darkness.