Twenty

Finnick and I enjoy the training, it gives us something to do. I am exhausted enough afterward to not have nightmares every night. The little downtime I have I spend with Theresa, Gloss, and Finnick, outside in the woods. I visit Peeta every now and then. Johanna and Katniss are even more focused on their training, barely having time to join us.

Gloss and I are an unbeatable team in military tactics, while Finnick and I are the best in team fights. We are recommended for the military exam by our trainer. Soldier Hawks.

That night Finnick and I sit huddled on the bed, his hand tracing patterns on my bare thigh my head leaning against his chest.

"Do you think we should go?", Finnick asks.

"I...I think we should. It will take time and staying here, under the earth, with the schedules, that food, the rules, the people, I don't think it will do us any good when we could be out there."
"We could die."
"Well, then we'll die together. Mrs Everdeen will take care of Theresa. Prim adores her too. We have always been fighters, not watchers. That is why you joined this revolution. Why I would have too."

Finnick turns me around in his arms, so I straddle his lap.

"I don't want to lose you. What if we lose?"

"Then I die. I won't go back, do you understand? I cannot go back. But, if you don't want to go, then we won't. We stay here and wait it out. Whatever you need."

I see the devastation on his face.

"No. We go. We fight, as we always have. We go down fighting, because when we lose then we die together, fighting, and not bombed to ashes here in Thirteen. We have fought hard for this, my darling wife, we won't sit by and risk it being taken again."

"I love you. Turtle stories and all", I say softly, which earns a laugh from him.

"Theresa loved the turtle story", he protests.

"Turtle Terry who swam away with your hat."
"Well, you swam away with my heart."
"You sweet talker", I grin and kiss him.

I visit Johanna early the next morning, right after informing Boggs of Finnick and I's decision, to find out that Katniss had already come by. It was an unlikely friendship, considering how it started off, but one I was happy for.

After that, I visit Theresa who is on her way to breakfast with Prim and Mrs Everdeen. She is upset at the news that I would be moving out to fight, grabbing my hands so tightly, saying she wouldn't let me go ever again.

"Oh my little flower, I know. But I have to fight for this, maybe find out about Daniel and your father. You won't ever be alone. But I need you to promise me to be a good girl with Mrs. Everdeen and to study well for school, alright? I'll be back before you know it."

"What if you die? People die all the time now!"

I pick her up.

"Well, then I will find a way back to you from there. Besides I have Finnick and Gloss watching over me."

She is angry nonetheless, but clings to my side throughout breakfast. When it is time to get our assignment she gets a big fat kiss on her cheek with a promise to see her as often as possible before deployment.

Boggs collects Finnick and me, leading us to command, informing us that we would join his squad. Number 451.

Inside command, we get joined by Katniss, Gale, Gloss, and a few soldiers from Thriteen, none of whom I know. And then Silas enters the room as well. Automatically, Gloss switches places with me, a human shield between me and my District Partner. This had to be some special sort of squad, with all the victors involved that they could get. But for now, my focus is on Plutarch, who starts his presentation on what to expect during the invasion of the Capitol.

At first, I see nothing, the flat surface giving the impression of a map, but not enough for any of the soldiers standing around it to see. But then a holographic image is activated and Plutarch explains the system of the Pods. Deathtraps, activated to keep us out. Finnick and I are the first to reach the table, Katniss right beside us. Gloss is holding a hand to Silas' chest, but it's on their faces too.

Again. I would have to go into an arena again. Finnicks hand is tight around mine as he whispers: "Ladies and Gentlemen..."

"Let the Seventy-Sixth Hunger Games begin", Katniss finishes, then quickly laughs to cover up what all the Victors in this room know.

"I don't know why you bothered to train us Plutarch, you have the best-equipped soldiers right in this room for", I vaguely gesture to the hologram, "that."

"Do not think that fact escapes me, now back in line everybody, I have a presentation to finish."

We get in an orderly line this time. Gale, Katniss, I, Finnick, Gloss and Silas. I notice Katniss acting overly concentrated, and reach for her hand, my other still clutched in Finnicks. She takes it, squeezing as hard as I am sure she wants to scream.

After the meeting Finnick and I disappear into the hummingbird enclosure by the weaponry.

"We'll have the record for winning the most Hunger Games if we make it through this", I mumble, my head resting on Finnicks stomach, him leaning sideways, supporting his weight with his elbow while playing with my hair.

"Well, all of the Victors here. I would never have guessed that being in the 75th Hunger Games would be the best option."

"Well, Haymitch made it here too."

"He knew more than any of us."

"Well, knowing more than me wasn't that hard."

Finnick grimaces.

"It's alright. We have each other now. No more lies."

"Never", Finnick says and kisses me.