Chapter 4

I call Haymitch the next day.

"Hello?"

"Haymitch. You are not drunk, what a surprise!", I chuckle.

"Little T. How are you doing?", he says, his voice kind.

"Oh just peachy. How are you dealing with your star-crossed lovers?"

"Oh, they want to train. It is really annoying. They put me on a diet."

"Poor you. But why should you train? We both know that Peeta will volunteer if you are picked to protect his one true love."

Haymitch sighs.

"Katniss made a deal, I volunteer for him."
I laugh. "Haymitch, you would die in the bloodbath. And we both know that these games exist because of them. Snow is going to make sure they are in that arena."

I don't care if they record the call, what are they gonna do? Kill me?

"You are right. Big, very important question. Would you ally with them?"

I think about it for a second.

"I sure would. But Johanna will be in the games, Finnick might be as well, they are gonna have a say in it. And your girl? I heard she isn't the biggest fan of other tributes?"

Another sigh from the other side of the line.

"That is true. But she wants to protect Peeta and I will make sure that she knows that an alliance with you is the best way to do that."

"Okay. See you soon", I say and hang up, then grab the spear and the daggers and train where I trained with Daniel. Throwing the spear, thrusts and twirls. Simple manoeuvres with the daggers that get gradually more complicated, run for an hour and do strength exercises. I then return home to shower and change and visit Mariann and the kids.

The weeks fly by. I don't have appointments in the Capitol anymore, so I train and spend a lot of time with the children. I also meet Silas who is surprisingly kind and carefree at that time.

One day before the reaping I walk into town and give each of the begging children a small bag with clothes, food and money. Some of them cry from happiness.

It is much needed and I am going to die anyway and even if I should survive because Johanna goes on a suicide mission and get me out of there I will have enough money to buy new things. If Snow doesn't have a plan on killing me.

I take the long way home and stroll past the stores, stopping in front of the jeweller. A simple silver ring catches my eye. I asked Finnick to marry me, maybe I should get him a ring. That way he would have something to hold onto when I die. So I do. I buy the ring, even have it engraved. And with that, all of the money I had at home is gone since I tip the man greatly.

Then the day of the reaping comes.

I ponder over what to wear for quite some time and then decide on a black pleated skirt and a simple dark blue blouse. I put on my necklace and add the ring to it because I can't go home after the ceremony.

I stand on stage with Mariann clutching my hand, Theresa is already crying and Daniel stands completely frozen. I give Mike a short nod, to reassure him that I will do as I promised.

Frensesia is as cheery as ever in a yellow and green outfit that stings in my eyes.

"Welcome, welcome...", she says and I tune out the speech and the anthem and the oh so special message from the Capitol.

"Ladies first", she almost screeches and fishes out one of the two paper slips in the bowl.

"The tribute for the 75th Hunger Games and with that the third Quaterquell is...Mariann Halloway"

I hear Daniel let out a sob and I step out instead, step in front of Mariann.

"I volunteer as tribute", I call out and Mariann is protesting and taking my hand.

"Talisa. Don't. Please. You deserve so much better"

I look her in the eyes.

"You have your children to look after. Think about them, not me. Now let me do the one thing that I can do to make things right, okay?"

She lets go and I take my place next to Frensesia who calls out Silas name, who is the only male victor because the last one killed himself four years ago.

The peacekeepers take my arm and drag me off the stage instead of letting me into a room to say goodbye.

"Auntie Tally!", I hear Theresa cry out and see her and Daniel fight their way through the crowd, Mike following behind them.

"Theresa!", I call back, glaring at the man who is dragging me along.

"Let go of me right now", I say lowly, threateningly.

"Tally! Tally!", I hear and see other Peacekeepers holding them back. And that's when I lose it. I smash my elbow into the Peacekeepers face and knee him in the stomach as he holds his nose and I run over to the little blonde girl.

"Theresa. Sweetie, come here", I say and open my arms, glaring at the man holding her and he lets go. Theresa throws herself into my arms.

"Are you going to die?", she cries and I feel another pair of arms wrap around my body. It's Daniel and my eyes get teary.

"Maybe", I say and crouch down, "Listen, take care of each other okay? I love you guys."

I give each a kiss on the head and look up. People of my District have formed a circle around us, effectively stopping the Peacekeepers from interrupting us.

"We love you too!", Daniel exclaims.

"Now go to your father, okay?"

Theresa gives me a kiss on the cheeks and hand in hand the siblings walk to their father who also has tears in his eyes and mouths 'thank you'.