Scene Eighteen

We paused at the entrance as Ashton faced me. “My mistake… this isn’t a rescue mission, it’s an extermination”. “What do you mean by that Ashton, you said--- “Elaine, what you find in there will keep you up at night, I’m going to ask you this once: Don’t hold back no matter what you see”. I walked forward and felt my legs lock up in terror, I peeked inside all I saw was darkness, it was mystifying in a sense; I took a deep breath and no longer smelled carrion, I walked in behind Ashton back to back, we circled the room with our flashlights and looked at the decomposed bodies on the ground. Ashton walked over to the wall and flipped the breaker, the lights came on; “I wish I could’ve not seen that” I said to myself stepping over a corpse, the worn and stained tiles of the bank were painted with the blood of past victims and made into the image of a peacock, I saw the center piece of the flawed ritual, a group of people were huddled together in the center of the room; but something was wrong they were turned to stone, I looked carefully and saw there were red streaks coming out of the pores of their faces and on their faces was an expression of sheer terror. Little tooth fairies ate their way out the petrified corpses, I holstered my gun and I snapped my fingers at my target; I torched the corpse in a blast of fire and heat, it turned into a scorched fragments of amber, I looked at Ashton as he took out a book of bamboo matches from his pants pocket; he struck the match head and tossed the light on a corpse at his feet; the fire burned an intense green for a moment, as it faded the flames turned the body into a pile of white ash; I cleared out the room with Ashton and when we were done we stood on piles of white ash and amber. I looked at the scorch marks that littered the floor, I exhaled my breath and inhaled, smell of burnt flesh made me sick to my stomach; I blew down the steel cover blocking the exit with a snap of my fingers and walked out the gaping hole that was the front door, I saw the gunned down bandits from earlier and gave them the same cremation as the victims inside the building behind me. I walked forward shaking inside, I took a seat on the park bench as my knees wobbled from what I’d done, I felt guilty and violated; no matter what I think, it can’t…  nothing can justify that madness. I didn’t notice asAshton took a seat next to me as I mused over my actions, “This is what you signed up for”. I heard him pierce my thoughts, I clenched my fists; “That was wrong”, I kept myself from bubbling over with rage… “I suppose you’re thinking isn’t there a better, a more humane way of doing things”. I looked at him hopefully, right now more than anything; I wanted an explanation. Ashton smiled and in an instant his expression turned sour: “Elaine… that was the humane option”. I felt a tear escape out of my eye, “No… there’s always another way”. I said desperately, I fell into his arms; “Tell me something, you’ve never killed anyone or anything besides for defending yourself… have you”? I cried harder and his embrace tightened, my arms wrapped around his back; Ashton put his arms on my shoulders and looked intensely into my eyes, “Tell me… can you stomach what happened? I hate to tell you but this is only the tip of the iceberg; Elaine… this line of work, you’ll see things that change who you are; you’ll see things that will break you, but at the end of the day can you move on? Answer me damn it”! He took a deep breath: “Tell me would you rather hurt a person or get hurt by another”? I looked at Ashton as I wiped my tears. “Can you let go of your humanity”? “This is the test, that many fail… can you let go of who you are, and get the job done”? I stopped crying, finally Cerberus stopped nagging at me; but something inside me broke… for once I felt free and content. “Yes”. “Even that means you have to stain your hands and soul”? “Yes”. “Do you accept who you are”? I became one with my demons, I have embraced my identity completely; so this is what means to be a fae, “I am a fae… nothing will change that”. I closed my eyes and saw the demon inside me, it had awoken and I had embraced it as a part of my being… the chains of morality were broken, there was no right or wrong anymore… just the instinct to survive, my guardian beast no longer a separate entity… for once I felt whole, I felt complete. I opened my eyes and a pair of burning wings of white gas manifested out of my neck; they crystalized into diamonds, I looked at Ashton and he formed eight arms of air out of his lower back, they hardened into long pearl spears; “Our guardians are a part of us… they represent our deepest fears and insecurities; once accept who we are that feeling of inadequacy goes away and we find inner peace”. “This is the manifestation of our element, the physical form of our strength”; “Now let’s see what you’re made of”. I stood up and got into my stance, I rushed forward in a blaze of white fire; I slashed down with my blade, Ashton slid aside his foot and turned to dodge my swing, I felt my back blow out from a punch to my gut; he grabbed my collar and slammed me into the ground, before tossing me into a tree and smashing all of his arms down on me, I lay flattened on the ground, “Pathetic”. A group of three ruby dragon tails blocked Ashton’s killing blow and I saw Astoria standing beside me, “Can’t we go one day without trying to kill each other”. I got to my feet and punched Ashton square in the face, he brushed aside my fist and returned the favor; Ashton snapped out his combat focus, and looked at me as his defenses reverted back into his body; my wings faded back into me and Astoria’s tail disappeared as well. Ashton was back to his happy go lucky self, “Well congratulations on your first mission”. He helped me to my feet and I looked at him, I swung a left hook and his expression hardened as dodged my fist, he stood upright and stepped forward to knee my gut: “Don’t take it personally… you’re the only one who passed my test”. He stepped back and cracked his fingers with his thumb as he walked back to our home, I stopped myself from doubling over and stood upright taking a deep breath. Astoria tugged on my arm and I saw her eyes were gleaming with awe: “Your wings were awesome”. “Nice tail, you have”. I said trying to downplay getting my ass whooped, my legs gave out and I sat on the stone walkway. Astoria sat next to me, “Rough day… huh”? “Yeah… today’s been pretty shitty”. “You know I had a heart to heart with Lex a couple days ago”. “Oh yeah, how did that go”? I asked jokingly, Astoria helped me into a nearby bench, she sat next to me and leaned into my ear: “I think I have a crush on him”.

“You did what”! I dodged a fist of emerald, and leapt up; I landed on Nikolai’s fist and I kicked him in the head, the impact of my blow vibrated through my body and I grabbed by the torso, Nikolai repeatedly slammed me into the ground of the training room, I extended my arms into Nikolai’s stomach and they shattered on contact, “What kind of golem are you”? “I am a titan”! I was pummeled into the ground and was thrown across the room like a ragdoll, Nikolai used the earth underneath his feet and flew toward me like a rocket; I freed myself from the wall mold and rolled forward, I felt the back of my head sear from his rage as I dodged a wild straight that smashed the steel wall behind me; I wrapped my arms around his torso and smashed my knee into his torso, his armor chipped from the impact and Nikolai stepped back taking a deep breath. I took a running start and leapt forward a dropkick, I was grabbed by my feet and spun around before being slammed into the ring for the last time; he held his cleaver above my head, “I’m done”. The blade was staked into the ground an inch away from my right ear, my heart raced: so that’s the power he has, I’m lucky he’s on my side… hell we all are. I planted my fist into the ground and staggered to my feet one knee at a time, I walked out the room cracking my joints, with the kiss of defeat leaving a bitter taste in my mouth; I washed the taste with an iced coffee, Draco handed me a towel and sat down next to me: “You know what you’re doing”? I looked at Draco and smiled: “Not a clue”. “I get you’re the type of guy to take things as they come” he sighed, “We’re not human Draco; the way I see it, our humanity shouldn’t be the thing that kills us on the field”. “But we’re not on the field dumbass, we’re at home; I understand you want everyone at their peak strength… you of all people should know that strength is meaningless without discipline”. I felt my stomach turn over from his words, “That girl… Elaine… I saw her humanity burning in her eyes, just because we’re monsters doesn’t mean we have to act like it”. Draco left the room and headed back upstairs to the living room, Thane sat next to my left; “You here to nag me to”? I spat at him: “I appreciate what you did”. “Me and Ragnarok… hell even Louis, and Astoria agree with you; look at this way, you showed her how to set aside humanity and ethics to ensure survival, in my book… that isn’t a fuck up, it’s a good deed”. “Thane, can you tell me; what makes something right or wrong”. “You’re asking the wrong person, Ashton; honestly… morality isn’t cut and dry neither is life. I appreciate your choice, because you did as the situation requires. There is no good or evil, in those moments, it’s just you embracing choice you’re going to have to make for the good in the long run… You consider me evil, because of the atrocious things I’ve done; but we’ve all things we’re not proud of, but guess what we’re standing aren’t we”? “Everything no matter how insignificant has a purpose… everything is connected to a grander scheme, to make a bigger picture all of the pieces need to be in place”. “The butterfly effect”. I said, “Bingo, you’re smart enough to know that every event will lead to a greater purpose”. Thane looked at me with curiosity; “So I’ll leave it at this, choice or not… either way all things will be resolved, there is a caveat to this though, not everything may go the way you planned it… in this case we adapt and adjust… life is a series evolutionary phases, and I intend to see it through the very end”.