Scene Five

I have a really bad habit, I’ve held more people in my arms, then I care to admit; some were loved ones, others were enemies, at the end of the day I realized they all had two things in common a contract was tied to their lives, they became threat to put down, my line of work has a sick sense of humor making me the executioner for my friends and family; personally I hate it: killing the ones you love and trust, changes you; for me, I’ve turned into a heartless bastard, this taught me never to get too attached to anyone. Don’t get me wrong it still breaks my heart, ending a life; especially the ones of the people I care about, I don’t work for an organization, I’m self-employed; it’s cruel being the one to pull the trigger, but it doesn’t bother me as much anymore; I’ve killed some real monsters, and in the process I’ve gotten rid of some my own demons, but this time was different; I felt me meeting my client this evening; I sensed she had a look of compassion in her eyes, I could tell she’s been through tough shit and won’t take crap from anyone; she didn’t give a fuck what was in front of her, she got her way regardless. I liked that, maybe she won’t end up as another body in the grave; maybe I wouldn’t have to be one to kill my friends for once. She was different, maybe this is a sign that I needed to change too.

I entered the local sushi bar, and took a seat at the counter; I ordered a green tea and some miso soup; taking in my surroundings, I saw it was clean place; the kitchen stood as an open rectangle in the middle of the main room boxed by tables that seat up to four, connected to the main room were four dining halls closed to the rest of the restaurant by bamboo shutters; the décor was simple, the walls and furnishings were colored in shades of white, light greens, beiges; the flooring was hardwood bordered by rounded stone tile strips. The place felt calm, before the hungry people came flooding in for the dinner service; as the noise of footsteps settled down, ambient noises of a waterfall played in the background, the evening played out in peace, as people came in and out satisfied with their meals, the time ticked away as I waited for my client; soon a woman came in the doors, I almost spit out my tea at her beauty, she wasn’t like the empty minded dames of high society caught up in cultural fads, gossiping about scandals and people; she had an air of authority around her, she was young and full of life yet I saw the loving qualities of a mother within her. She was dressed in light red sweats, her hair was tied in a messy bun; she adjusted her glasses, as she saw me; a wide grin cracked open her pursed lips, I looked into her eyes and they were a bloody crimson; overall in front of me was a capable woman full of wisdom and compassion, yeah this was one different; I saw down the line we’d become good friends and she’d teach me to open up to the world, she took a seat next to me and hell it was awkward. “Hey, I’m Ashton; what’s your name”. “I’m Elaine, nice to meet you”. “Excuse me”, she motioned the chef and ordered a plate of assorted sashimi; I finished my soup and ordered a bowl of tempura udon, “Sorry if I made you wait you long”. “It’s alright”, I said cracking a smile; it was odd hearing my own voice like this, “So why did want to apply for my PMC”? I said taking a sip of my soup, “I honestly don’t know, I’m looking for a new life”. “You’re just trying to find meaning in your life am I correct”? “Yeah, I always found myself seeking the next thrill; I applied because I didn’t want to live in a rut going through the motions”. “You’re hired”, “what just like that”? “Yup”. “No more questions, no anything”? We’ve finished our meal and split the bill, leaving the restaurant we walked the city streets arm in arm before she jerked me in the opposite direction of the street leading to the hotel chain, I finally answered her, smiling like a idiot: “Nope, you look like a capable person; besides you’re the only the applicant who answered my ad”. “Seriously”? “Yup, life threatening danger happens to a turn-off to any sane person; did I mention there are great employee benefits”. “Define danger”. “That’s for you to find out, the term danger is relative; hell what we might encounter on the field may scare us shitless, or more likely we’ll kill whatever that thing is before it even gets a chance to hit back, you’ll be just fine as long as you don’t get cocky and keep your head on your shoulders”. “Keep a cool head, got it”. “Hey you brought your things with you when you moved out here”? “Yeah I did, I brought them to a nearby hotel”. “You’re moving in with me”. “Whoa, I just met you today; isn’t this a bit too soon”? I smiled, “I’ve prepped a room at my place, besides; wouldn’t like you live in a penthouse suite instead”? I saw interest flicker in her eyes, “You’re cool with a complete stranger staying with you”. “Of course, I take the best care of my employees; don’t worry there’s plenty of space”. “For the record I’ve had previous employees of both sexes live with me”. “What happened to them”? “They were killed in action, don’t take this wrong way but I’ve kept their ashes preserved in the headquarters memorial”. I saw shock manifest on her face, “You’ve got issues, dude”. She said nervously, “It’s the justice they deserve, Elaine; my family is the people who’ve gone out with to the field, and I’ll tell you right now they all died believing that were making a difference in the world, they did and don’t want to their deaths to be vain. I’ve been alone for the last few years; so forgive me, if I come off as a bit odd; I cared for these people, I’m honored you’ll be joining me in arms and sure as hell I’ll try to save you from dying. Understood”? She nodded her head, “You’re the real deal; people told me I was crazy to join you, but I know they were wrong; you’re not a bad guy are you, you and I both fucked up before, in a sense we’re seeking amends; Ashton, for the first time I’ve found a purpose, a goal; this is the path I’ve chosen and I’m sticking to it”. I nodded at her personal vow, “This is your warrior code; I expect you to stick by it”. “As for my code, I vowed to kill the monsters that will jeopardize the progress of humanity—“Ashton, be honest with me; the people who died under your charge, they didn’t all die in action did they”? I chuckled, “You’re good, I gave them an early termination; I’ll be honest I wasn’t proud of myself when I did, but I see it that the ends will justify the means”. “I suppose, what gives me the guarantee that you won’t kill me”. “I give you my word, I won’t harm a hair on your head, this will apply to all future employees, I promise”. “I can trust you”. “You’re different, the demons in you has been tamed by your will; I see no evil intent, so yeah you’re safe”. “Good, likewise goes for you; I’ve had running streak of friendly fire, I’ve seen my share of combat and all the horrors it brings, sometimes you just have cut losses isn’t that right”. “I’m glad we’re on the same page”. “Okay we’re here”, I faced a brick wall and turned to watch Elaine run right in to it; she fazed through the wall like a ghost leaving me staring in disbelief, I took a couple steps forward and her arm grabbed me by the collar, I was pulled into a well-lit beautiful ballroom, the music was peaceful but something was off it was empty of people; “Welcome to the asylum, Ashton”. She said, smiling; my heart started to sink to my stomach: I kept saying “no” like a broken record, right now I wanted to roll up into a ball and cry.