Scene Twenty-eight

We walked toward the center of the arena, looking into each other’s eyes we were terrified yet intrigued at what we found. She punched forward and I grabbed her arm, twisting it back I extended my leg and kicked her thigh. I crushed the back of her left knee with my foot; I wrapped my arms around her neck and placed her in a choke hold, she tapped out and I let go. “Draco, my dear brother… you should treat your sister with more love than that”. I dodged her straight and punched her elbow dislocating her lower arm; I tackled her to the ground. “Still pretty, and psychotic; just like me”. I sat on her back and wrapped my right leg around her shoulder, crack; Diana reset her body, she spun around loosening her limbs slipping from my grip she spring kicked my stomach, with a headspin she got back on her feet. I hopped up to my feet and put up my fists, she took the same stance and jabbed forward, I matched her fist; she spun backward and went for a roundhouse, I blocked the kick with my arm and grabbed her leg, smashing my elbow into her knee; her leg bent down and I followed up with a haymaker to her face. I held her to the ground and wrapped my hands around her throat; “Stay down”. I throttled her and shook her by the neck, smashing her skull into the ground; I strangled her as she reached for my throat with a sedative, she jammed her syringe into my throat and kicked me off her. I blocked off her fist and tucked under left hook, I punched her abdomen and I stepped back to catch her from falling over, Diana straightened up and breathed heavily. She staggered forward and punched my chest, she fell on her knees; she beat on my chest with weakening punches, “Damn it… just let me win for once”. I raised my leg above her head and positioned my heel, I swung down and smashed her skull with the heel of my black loafer, spun around and kicked the side of her head, she hit the ground and she pressed her hands into the dirt. Diana stood back up; straightening her jaw, she pulled her out luger, she aimed at my heart. “Go ahead, just remember I get a shot too”. The pistol round tore through my clothes and hit me dead center in my heart; I pulled out my KSG; chambering a blank with the pump I aimed at her head, bang. She closed her eyes at the loud noise, “You’re really that stupid”. I leaned forward and hugged her, she fell into my arms; I gave her a kiss and looked her cherry red eyes, “The only woman I’ll ever love”.  Diana shanked my side, with her scalpel as she licked my neck; “I wonder if this is incest”? “What do you think”? I pushed her back and dodged her crazed swing; I caught her by the wrist; getting behind her I kicked in her knees, with a chop I downed her to the ground. She drooled as I knocked her out, she grabbed my ankle and I turned around; “How the tables have turned”, I felt the tears well in my eyes. I sat down next to her, “Forgive me for leaving you”. I embraced her and felt the tears stream out of my eyes, “You and I are not of one blood, but you are closest semblance I have of family… you have taught what was me right and wrong. Dear friend and sister, I have missed you have you missed me”? The sedative kicked in, and I fell into her arms; her skin was warm and I dreamt back to happier days, “I will always love you”. My world turned to black, I felt a sharp pain in my throat before I lost all feeling; I fell for the oldest trick in the book… how stupid am I? My warped back to a time, before I became a psychopath, before I forgotten what means to be alive… right now, if weren’t for Thane, I’d be very lonely and empty inside. There are days where I scream to find the thing to fill the hole in my heart: Diana meant everything to me, before she crushed my heart and left me to dry. If only I hadn’t a soft spot for the abandoned kids, no that’s why he’s loves me; says I’m more mother than father figure.

I staggered up and let go of Diana, my vision and hearing started to fade, I shook off the effects of the sedative and clapped my face to get some feeling back; I caught the first punch and felt her punch my stomach, I blocked the following knee; she pulled back and went for a cartwheel, I grabbed her heels and pushed her off balance, I dreamt back to how we first met; Diana was like a newborn puppy in the rain, the skies poured heavily that day. I walked down the alley and found her, she was rolled into a ball and bleeding out; I rushed over and sealed the large gash in her stomach, taking her in my arms I rushed down the streets to my hovel in the subway. The details are starting to escape me at the moment, I fell on one knee and bent down to dodge her punch, I shot myself forward and wrapped my arms around her waist; I tackled Diana to the ground, I pinned her by the arms; looking into her eyes, I saw the same pitiful child; the grief and loneliness in my heart poured into my eyes, but what followed suit was something I had longed to find as well: a place to belong, a person who love what you are. I let go and stumbled backwards, the heel of my shoe caught a pebble and I tripped backwards; Diana stood above me with her luger pointed at my head, “You and I really are alike… that’s why it so much to pull the trigger”. Damn, I’m at the end of my rope; normally bullets won’t kill me, but this time my healing’s been shut off. “You never loved did you, was I good for your ego”? “Of course I loved you”. “Then why did you leave me… Diana you don’t destroy the people you’re in love with”. I saw her eyes tear up: “Shut up, what the hell do you know about me”. I rolled out of the way to dodge the first shot and staggered back up, shot in the knee I ran forward and threw my weight behind my punch, I knocked Diana to the ground; I clawed out the bullet in my kneecap and crushed her chest with my foot, with the second stomp she coughed out blood and I no longer heard her cries of agony. I stumbled back and felt the second wave of the sedative, no it was a paralytic neurotoxin; for a moment I froze in place, all of my senses remained; Diana got on her feet and wiped the bloody smear off her mouth, she forward with a scalpel in hand started to cut away at my limbs, “ninety-nine cuts to go… don’t worry I’ll make it nice and slow… just for you”. For a moment all of time froze: it was just the two of us, Diana sliced away at my flesh, my being, my sanity for seemed like an eternity… in the eyes of bystanders Diana would have been moving far beyond what the eyes could perceive as possible. The last cut was to my throat, my vision blacked and was on the ground, with my limbs hanging limp; my eyes cleared but my ears were still clogged, I faced her devilish smile, she sat down on my chest and poked the center of my forehead with her scalpel. I fell on my knees and was laid on my back, I felt her lips brush against mine as I lost consciousness; before everything faded out again, my ears cleared out. “Rest in peace”.

I woke up in the lobby with Thane and Astoria tending to my wounds, they looked into my eyes and let out a breath of relief. My head was groggy, but I knew I was out danger for the time being; everyone else except for Nikolai and Lex was present in the lobby, “Fucking hell… Ow… Ow”; Astoria helped me into a sitting position, I put my legs on the footstool and took a deep breath; I saw the scratches on my skin seal up. “That’s better”, I clapped my face and was jolted awake; I gave Thane a kiss on the cheek and Astoria a hug. “Draco, don’t die on me… for the love of all things good, please don’t die on us”. I popped my wrists back into place and looked at Astoria; she had bloody smears all over her mouth, I leaned and smelled the scent of raw flesh, I got out my handkerchief and wiped her mouth; “You certainly are a messy eater”. “I hope you understand the drawbacks of raw flesh diet… for one you need to floss between your teeth more, and secondly chew your food; I can see the bits you ate trying to crawl out of throat”.  Wiping her mouth; she winced holding her cheek, I walked to our quarters; I went into the bathroom, finding my travel bag; I ran on back to Astoria. “Say aw”. She pursed her lips, “Come on open up, it’ll be quick and painless”. Astoria opened her mouth and I little chunks of red; a little piece of bone stuck in her right cheek, “Easy enough”; I got a line of floss; “Close your eyes and relax this is going to sting a little”. As I cleaned between her teeth and got out the fragments of bone shattered between her gums; she started to wince in pain, I placed the bits on a metal dish and brushed her teeth; “All done and clean as a whistle”. Astoria waggled her jaw; “Feeling better”. “Thanks for the checkup”, with a pop she opened her mouth and closed it. “I advise you find better dietician than Nolan, raw flesh is not something a growing girl needs to eat”. “Draco, I can’t eat normal food anymore”. “What are you talking about”? Astoria pulled down her shirt collar and showed the XIII mark; she turned and showed me the tattoo of a scorpion on her neck, “A curse mark”. “The scorpion’s new”. “You can, you just need to acquire the taste for it”. “What’s your favorite food”? She looked at me and smiled, “Candied apples”. “Then we’ll start there”.

I walked out into the arena and stared at the grey skies, “Beautiful day for a war don’t you think commandant”. “Damien, or is it: Heresy… to me you’re just not a madmen spewing garbage to people who don’t know what’s left from right”. “You’re armies are under my command; there is nothing you can do that save city of yours”. “Morality is not black and white; there are shades of grey, which mortals cannot understand let alone become”. “The masses place their trust in an idol, enjoy it while you can, I intended to destroy what I’ve built to liberate the people, now I know that it is a must”. “Let me have a taste of your wrath then”. I loaded my pistol and faced Damien, he stood as a golden tower burning with magic flames; he breathed out a jet of the flames into the air and roared like a dragon, “Devil… I condemn you to hell”! “Euclid… let’s get to work”.