Scene Fifty-three

"Logs 13 of 13, audio and visual recordings complete". I took a sigh wiping a tear from my eye: the last memories I have of them... no the last trace I've found of them. I watched the footage leading up to our reunion: I stepped on the parking lot of my home; I looked at the burnt out pyres near the front door of the main buildings, in what seems like forever I saw my friends: I looked around and surprisingly enough it wasn't a warzone at least not yet; I saw Damon run into the lot heaving for breath, we looked at the two figures who sat near the doorsteps, I saw Lex and Galahad on the ground half asleep from waiting for us; "Hey you guys wait long"? I was greeted by two embraces by my teammates, "I'd never thought you guys would be the type of people to miss their loved ones". I heard the little snippet of my voice as I stopped the vid docs and looked at the empty house where it all started. I looked at my old home with yearning, "Just for a day I want to go back and live in those happier days". "You're a fool for thinking that"; I heard Ragnarok behind me, "Grow some balls and move on would you, you're not a kid anymore Ashton". I wiped off the settled ash on a stone garden bench and took a seat; Ragnarok sat down next to me, "So this is where it all began huh"? I dusted my hands and watched the soot come right off; "Yeah, I never thought I'd sign up for the ride of a lifetime; the last six months truly were best times in my life". I grinned at the thought, ""Neither did I, nor did the rest of us have any idea that this would happen... if left on our own, could we have been brought together like this"? "Honestly I don't want to consider that possibility... I received so much more, than what I put in the fire; when I think about it, we all had some close calls, at one point or another we all stood that narrow brink just barely missing death, all the while bonding together as a family... for that I'm thankful". "You never would have guessed that any of this will happen in foresight"; Ragnarok sat back and let out a deep exhale, "Remember the questions I asked you at the beginning of our little adventure". "Ashton what kind of future do you want"? "I want to make a place for people like us to belong, to feel accepted by one another, if not the rest of society". "What kind of warrior are you"? "The kind who's not afraid to hit someone else under the belt". "Now let's begin shall we". "Firstly, why did you choose this life"? "I want to protect those closest to me, I don't want to let those I love die again". "I see". "How has our journey changed you as a person"? "Honestly, I feel more alive than I ever did in my life; I feel like I can actually say I'm fulfilled inside". Ragnarok nodded his head: "Lastly what matters the most to you"? "I want to make a life where people can be happy". Ragnarok smiled looking into the grey horizon: "You pass". "How funny the threat we perceived was never there to begin with". "Ever wonder what happened to those nasty people we so wanted to purge from the streets"? "You killed them all, dear Ashton". I smelled carrion around me, I rubbed my eyes and saw the decaying bodies of those I deemed guilty lying around me; Ragnarok and I stood together in a unnamed street running with rivers of blood and gore, "It can't be... how did this happen"? "Wake up and smell the coffee, isn't it delicious". Ragnarok laughed like a madman: "Join the party, before we all die, for all our sakes. Take my hand and let's twist destiny into something beautiful, something worth saving". "Or should I say in your case: let's burn destiny away, so what you waiting for hero... let's kill the world". I saw myself in the street consumed by bloodlust, slaying both friend and foe alike, the last thing I saw was a blood red sky, I looked at myself fade into dust as I fell on my knees in despair and the world around me faded to black: a hand touched my shoulder in darkness; slowly the void lightened up into varying shades of grey, "Everything you fear will come to bear if you don't take a stand for the things you love". I looked up and saw Ragnarok, "This is the best case scenario, even after we clean all the shit off the fan". "You are your own monster, there is no greater enemy than yourself". Ragnarok helped me to my feet, "The coming battle will be a test of will, greater than anything you can handle alone". "That desire to make a world where people can live in peace, strive toward it; but never forget you're not alone. Stretch your hands toward the future, grab that beautiful horizon and run toward your dreams". "That vision is one of two possibilities that will happen". "What's the other"? I asked Ragnarok getting my nerve back, we were in an empty plain with winter sunshine piercing the grey clouds and snowfall, Ragnarok showed me a field full of flowers, there were scattered prayers, all answered". I saw myself and my team standing side by side all dressed in black, in the center of our circle I saw a coffin etched with a nautilus on the front cover, on the sides I saw seashells and settling waves; I rubbed my eyes and felt the tears in my eyes, in Galahad's arms was a body he approached the grave and lowered the lifeless form into the velvet coffin. "No, I won't accept this". "Purpose in your heart and strive toward a beautiful future, one where you can make a life worth living"; I held my fist to my heart, "Casualties are bound to happen, you can't save everyone". "I can sure as hell try". I formed my own future in front of me, I saw everyone standing together on the roof of skyscraper looking down on the city; it was clear day outside, the sun was bright and death was no longer looming our heads, our hearts were filled with joy and pride from our victory. "Then you'll have to make it happen". I placed my fist on Ragnarok's chest, and he did the same for me; "You've come a long way and I'm happy for that, when the time comes we'll have to see what you're made of". "Mark my words, no one will die on the day of the battle". Ragnarok dropped his arm, "Carve your path through life, as you always did brother; now let us walk toward the truth we will make for ourselves". Back in reality I sat on the bench a little longer and was deep in thought, before I knew it I was back home to spend the remaining six days of rest with friends both new and old; Delta team, their presence came as a prayer in my heart answered, just the firepower we need to win over any unforeseen contingencies, to my good fortune the girls (mainly) and guys, bonded well with my family; thank god for all the extra rooms I had lying around, our teams made a pact for a joint operation; our small scale war, hidden to those who cannot see the secrets in front of them; regardless the human world will be put at risk, and I want to protect both worlds from dying; the more I think back to it, I found a home in the human side of things were I first learned the inklings to feel and live with my first family, now I'm going to do the same for this family of mine.

The path always starts with: what if? We are to question the world around us and grow from the knowledge, the wisdom we gain from our journeys through life, all of us stepped into a larger world on that day, not knowing what the future holds but walking steadfast in spite of everything set in our way. Today we cast aside fear and doubt, to walk into the unknown with brave hearts full of desire to make a home for ourselves, this new world we are about to step into is our home now... now set the foundation for the future, to end we strive for, let us protect everything we love to our last breaths.