Nightmare

Ashton is a single parent to Luke who wakes him up with a nightmare
ಠ_ಠಠ_ಠಠ_ಠಠ_ಠಠ_ಠಠ_ಠಠ_ಠಠ_ಠಠ_ಠಠ_ಠ
Drifting in and out of consciousness, I heard the faint sound of footsteps padding in the hallway.

Concluding, that it was my little boy Luke, I fell back asleep not hearing the door to my room open.

"Dad?" Luke whispered shaking my shoulder gently in an attempt to wake me.

"Daddy?" Luke cried when I didn't answer

Quickly bolting into a sitting position, I harshly rubbed my eyes - stars swarming my vision from the pressure of my fists.

I knew something was wrong with the small eleven year old as he hadn't called me daddy in years. It became even more clear once I saw tears flowing starfish down his cheeks.

Scooting onto the middle of the bed, I opened my arms, Luke gladly snuggling into my chest. He had his stuffed penguin clutched in his hand that would normally be hidden somewhere in his room as he was 'too old for teddies'.

Stroking his hair fondly I asked "what's the matter Lu Lu?"

He sniffled before answering, his voice quiet "nightmare"

Frowning at him, I held his cold hand in mine and stroked his knuckles.

"Can you remember what it was about?" I asked softly trying not to upset him.

He nodded.

"You got killed and I was on my own" Luke hiccuped, bursting into tears again.

"Hey...

Rubbing his back gently, I pulled the covers over his small body.

"It's okay baby boy, I'm still here, daddy's here" I said soothingly Luke snuggling further into my body warmth.

Waking up to a certain blond boy snoring softly  on my chest made me smile happily. He was my absolute world.