Anschluss

Georg and Maria were finally wed in the ceremony of the century. They were so happy to finally enter a new chapter of life and even more ecstatic to be in it together.

They decided to travel to Paris for the honeymoon and had a marvelous time. Maria had also never really been outside of Austria and enjoyed the change of scenery.

However one morning everything changed. It had been about two weeks and they had planned to stay for a month.

The Captain woke up and turned to face his wife and smiled. He didn't want to wake her so he got up slowly and went to the door to retrieve the paper, since he had it brought to his room everyday. He opened the door slowly and picked up the paper. He didn't really look at it and rubbed his eyes and got back in the bed. He sighed and unfolded it and the front page story was one he dreaded to read.

 He sighed and unfolded it and the front page story was one he dreaded to read

He felt his stomach drop to the floor. But also was filled with rage. He immediately stood up and went to rinse his face with water. This of course made Maria wake up with a jolt.

"What is it? Is something wrong" she was alert due to her shock.

"Read it" was all the Captain said pacing the floor.

Maria picked up the paper and read for a few moments. Then simply looked at her husband.

"I'm so sorry darling" was all she could muster.

"What was the point? Of any of it? Why did I fight years ago just to loose now?" He sat back down on the bed

"Because you love your country and you would die for it. It brought you life" she crawled closer to him since his back was turned to her.

"Why does he want us? How can that pig even call himself a man after everything- and have so much" he was rambling and jumbled and put his head in his hands.

"It doesn't make sense" Maria agreed. "But however you decide to handle this isn't up to me" she added.

"I need to know more" he sat up a little bit and put his arm around Maria. "How can God bless me so much and then pull another rug out from under me?"

"That's a great question that no one has the answer to. It's life. It's how you react that makes a difference."

"I need to talk to someone there, I wouldn't dream of sending a telegram there now though." He told his wife.

"Neither would I, we should go home" Maria suggested

The Captain nodded in agreement "besides I need to see the children, i don't know why, but I need to"

"Because you love them" Maria kissed him on the cheek "and like the good father you are, you want to protect them from everything"

He squeezed her hand "Thank you, I don't know what I would have done.." He couldn't continue.
the conversation. However the Captain hugged Maria close to him and he felt safer in that moment then he had in a long time.

Dun dun dun...ik

But i felt like we had to talk about it. It was a huge deal at the time. Also don't come at me for accuracy on the paper. Idrk.

Hope you enjoyed!💛💛💛