You will All Sing

"Listen" Maria gathered the three eldest children into the study and shut the door behind her. She stood and sighed and looked at the three faces before her, filled with concern.

"You're father has been requested to join the Navy of the third Reich. Obviously he will refuse but that means we have to leave.

Everyone's stomach dropped to the floor.

"Leave?" Louisa asked

Liesl crossed her arms and tried to conceal her panic "it makes sense. Rolf told me they know everything. They'll know if he refuses and they'll know if we stay."

"Where will we go?" Friedrich asked

"Switzerland. Don't worry about anything we'll take care of it. If you want to take anything make it small or put it in your pocket. However, right now I need you to help me get the rest of them ready" Maria explained as calmly as she could.

"What do we tell them?" Liesl asked

"Just get them ready, if they ask anything try to answer truthfully but gently"

------------------------------
Maria scrambled to grab hats for Liesl and Brigitta and raced back outside to her family.

Friedrich was going to aim the car and open the gate while Max, Kurt and the Captain would push it in order to not make noise. Max would go to the festival and switch them to the last act and when they announced them they will have driven over the border into safety.

"Why doesn't father turn the motor on?" Marta asked

"Because he doesn't want anyone to hear us" Kurt responded only to receive a harsh "shh" from his father.

"What will Frau Schmidt and Franz say when they discover we're gone" Louisa asked

"They didn't know so they may answer truthfully if anyone asks" Maria answered.

"Are we coming back here?" Liesl was next

"Some day Liesl, I do hope someday"

"Are father and uncle Max going to push the car all the way to Switzerland?" Gretl added

Maria shushed her.

Friedrich ran and opened the gate as quietly as he could and the others pushed the nose of the car out to the street. The family rushed to get into the car but just as they opened the doors the area was flooded with light.

The children watched as their father went back and forth with Her Zeller. Maria was a little panicked to say the least and couldn't think of a new plan fast enough. The little girls were beginning to shake.

"Well that's unfortunate because we, the entire family, are singing in the festival tonight" the captain explained nonchalantly "as a matter of fact that's where we we're going now"

"You mean to tell me Captain that you will be singing?" He shot back

Max interrupted "believe me it will be a performance beyond anything even I've dreamt of."

"It lists here only the names of the children" Her Zeller waved the program

"It says the von Trapp Family singers and I'm the head of the von Trapp Family am I not?"

"I just hope we're not too late" Maria added

"And these travel clothes"

Maria spoke again "our costumes naturally, Her Zeller this night air is not good for the children's voices"

"Yes like you Her Zeller I too am a man of hidden talents" The Captain smirked.

"Very well" he sighed "you will sing. Not because that's the way I want it to be but because it will demonstrate nothing in Austria has changed. Now, we will escort the von Trapp Family to the festival"

"No escort necessary" the Captain shook his head

"Necessary? We wouldn't want you to get lost in the crowd. Would we now?" Everyone knew what he was insinuating.

"Of course not" the Captain smiled sarcastically

Everyone quickly loaded into the privacy of the car.

"Now they know our car" the Captain gritted his teeth as he drove.

"You will sing at the appointed time. I will stall as long as I can and when it comes time I will take my precious time." Max said

"But Max" Maria turned to her friend "What if-"

"Don't worry, I've convinced them I'm neutral enough to be swayed. I'll be old news to them in no time"

"What are we going to do?" Liesl asked

"Are we going to hide?" Brigitta added

"How will we get to Switzerland?" Kurt spoke

"Dear God" the Captain whispered as he grippped the wheel.

Maria thought about the amount of stress brewing in the tiny vehicle. Then it hit her, dear God...
"We'll go to the abbey" She exclaimed

"What?" The Captain turned to his wife.

"We'll hide there, its a place of worship. We can wait for a few hours until they go out of their way. And they can't search it thoroughly anyway" she explained.

"But what about after that?" Friedrich asked.

"There has to be a caretaker" Max shrugged

"Yes exactly" Maria began "we can take their car over the border and won't be followed."

"Do we have to push that car too?" Gretl asked. Everyone's spirits lifted a little and Louisa noticed her father smiling a bit.

"No darling this one runs" her father told her.

"What do we sing?" Brigitta asked

"Easy" Maria replied "we sing what we know"

Hey hey hey
So they made it out of the house, that's step one.

I hope you aren't too bored yet. We're almost done. There are about three chapters left but the next one will probably be the longest yet. Idk when im gonna update next but probably in the next few days. Im just busy RN.

Thanks for reading!💛💛💛