They Don't Play, They March

Kurt pondered about how he truly felt about the new governess as he marched along. He thought she was pretty and she had the gumption to stand up to his father, which is something he would never dare do. Also she didn't like the whistle. On top of that she could read him and his siblings rather easily.

Once they passed the front gate and turned the corner from the front wall the children continued into the side gardens where paths had been cut from tall bushes, which meant they had the privacy to talk while still being discreet.

"I think I like her" Kurt finally admitted although he still seemed unsure.

"What?" Louisa replied shocked "she can read us like a book. We're going to have to outsmart her" she turned so quickly that her braided golden hair, identical to Gretl's flew and landed on her shoulder.

"But maybe if we get a good governess...we can keep her. And not have to keep getting new ones. Father could get used to that and come back and visit more often" Kurt responded more confident.

"I like her too" Marta spoke as she studied the birds nest that was on top of the bush

"Me too" Gretl added

Marta pointed up to the nest and Friedrich understood, he picked her up to see it. The two studied the nest and soon Liesl came along holding Gretl. Then a crazy weird idea struck Friedrich.

"If a nest of baby birds is taken care of then a father accepts them, but if they aren't then he abandons them. What if Kurt has a point. Maybe if she is truly good to us and we are good to her then we can have both her and father"

"Do you not get it?" Liesl shook her head and sighed "we don't need one. We are fine without one and then father will be forced to spend more time here because of how it would look to leave us alone."

Friedrich put Marta down and walked closer to his big sister "I say I like her"

"And I say I don't and as the oldest we do what I say" Liesl retorted with her hands on her hips. Gretl had walked away towards where Louisa, Brigitta and Kurt were watching.

"We're divided" Kurt spoke up "we'll never get anywhere. Let's just see how the rest of the day goes okay?"

Liesl had to admit her little brother was right so the children chose to continue their day as usual.

Yay a short chapter. I've always imagined they discussed Maria on that walk before dinner.

Btw the next chapter will cover that and will be decently short

The one after will include my favorite things and will probably be like the last few chapters.

I know the lengths aren't consistent but I would rather have a decent cut off point.

Thanks for reading!💛💛💛