What Will this Day be Like?

Marta von Trapp opened her eyes to the sun shining through her window. It had been raining for a week and the warmth from the sun shone down upon her rosy cheeks as she rubbed her tired little eyes and sat up.

She pulled her covers back and got out of bed, then put her slippers on. She walked to the window in the center of the wall and looked out.

There were a couple of robins sitting on top of a ledge and she saw the brightness make the water in the lake sparkle like magic. She desperately wanted to go out and run around and try to find bunnies. She loved animals and she desperately wanted a little bunny to name Matilda.

She lifted her hand and felt the glass on the window warm up her dainty hand. She then heard a knock at the door.

Marta walked across the room and turned the knob as she peeked through. It was just Frau Schmidt and she looked tired, as she did most mornings.

"Good morning, I'm awake" Marta said quietly

"Please make it on time for breakfast, you know how your father feels about punctuality. I expect you two down by 8:00 sharp" said the maid as she rubbed the bridge of her nose with her fingers

Marta was very used to this type of behavior from Frau Schmidt. She was often exhausted due to the immense amount of work her employer made her contribute to.

Even as a six year old Marta knew her life was different. None of her friends at school had to wear uniforms at home and certainly didn't have as many rules. She also knew that none of her friends were whistled for but yet this was a normal part of her life.

Even though the little girl had a very strict upbringing her room was bright and vibrant. There was a big window in the center of the wall parallel to the door. Next to the door to the right was a dresser that contained all sorts of marvelous articles of clothing and to the left was a wardrobe that held about 6 or 7 of the finest dresses. Yet these were hardly touched. On the left side of the room sat her bed in the corner, wooden headboard and fluffy white blankets and sheets along with a cloth doll and a little chair. The same was mirrored on the right where another even tinier girl breathed heavily.

Marta closed the door and thought about what the word punctuality meant. But she then looked at the clock and it read 7:30. She felt very proud as she had only learned to tell time last year

She scooted herself in her pink slippers across the room to the bed that was identical to hers. She noticed she couldn't see a head so she pulled the cover back to reveal her little sister. Her chubby cheeks were squashed, her eyes tightly shut and her typically neat golden hair was covering half her face.

Marta shook her "Gretl. Gretl! Goodness wake up!" She pushed her for added emphasis and the five year old stirred and kicked the covers

"What?" Gretl whined "I hate waking up early" she said as she sat up and rubbed her blue eyes.

Gretl was five, and the baby. She was a stout little girl with long golden locks and wide eyes that were always looking for something to get into. She thought herself to be quite grown up when in reality she was the opposite.

"But today is the day Gretl" Marta said heading to the large oak dresser they shared.

"What day is that?" Gretl said skipping to her. She was always forgetting what she was supposed to remember.

"We're getting a new governess today" Marta said pulling her uniform out of the top drawer as well as Gretl's.

"All that means is that Louisa and Friedrich are gonna go catch spiders again, without us" Gretl said pouting and crossing her tanned little arms.

"Maybe we'll get to go this time" Marta smiled as she began to dress. Marta was a reasonable child who didn't enjoy conflict and often declared neutrality in wars between the siblings.

The doorknob began to twist and both girls froze. Marta was only half dressed and Gretl's arms dropped to her sides with clenched fists of fear. It then opened and the door began to creak as a hand with long fingers touched right below the knob.

"Good you're up" said their big sister Liesl. Both little girls sighed and smiled. Their 16 year old sister always came to help them get ready for the day, as the housekeeper or governess thought they were old enough to be independent. Liesl was the oldest and felt an obligation to be the caretaker. Yet due to the fact that she grew up too fast her adolescent urges remained. She was charming, sly, yet thoughtful but most of all she was protective of everything. From her siblings to her emotions.

"We're getting our new governess today!" Marta smiled and she shimmied to get her gray skirt on. She was excited. She was the only one who was ever excited now. She imagined that she would one day have a wonderful governess, one that loved her as her own, yet time after time she was disappointed. This could have torn down hope in the girl yet in reality all it did was make her desire stronger.

"And the only thing you two need to worry about is getting to breakfast on time today" Liesl said as she reached for the girls uniforms that were still on the dresser. She of course was already dressed and her short brown hair was down with a nice headband

"Come on" she said holding the door open and letting the two little girls walk under her arm

They walked down the dark carpeted hall to a room at the end and walked inside. Liesl had her own room as she was the oldest. It was only a tad smaller but had two windows. Her bed was identical to her sisters and pushed against one window to the right. She had pillows covered with tiny embroideries of leaves and flowers. Next to her bed a desk was covered in parchments and a shag lamp. Liesl was not an excellent painter by any stretch but it calmed her and she did have a knack for embroidery.

She got Gretl dressed and braided her golden hair into little buns and did the same to Marta's long dark hair except she put it in dog ears. She then led them back into the hall where their other brothers and sisters would meet them.

Kurt and Louisa were leaning against the white intricate rail of the indoor balcony as there were no adults around.

"Louisa, have you heard anything about this one?" Marta asked wide eyed running to her big sister. She had a different feeling in her stomach when she thought about this governess and she wanted to know if there was actually something different about her.

"No" Louisa mumbled as she twirled her thumbs. She slumped more onto her elbow and sighed. She was not a fan of this process anymore but there was one thing she did enjoy "but I have an idea for our first prank" she stood up a little straighter "we need a pinecone"

"A pinecone?" Kurt questioned curiously standing up as well. Liesl walked away from the group toward another door down the hall.

"Why on earth do we need a pinecone?" The blonde boy aksed

"Brigitta Marie come on" Liesl said pounding on the door she had wandered to. Just then Friedrich came out of his room right next to it.

Marta was very close to Friedrich just as Gretl was close to Liesl and Louisa and Brigitta were close to each other. Friedrich picked his little sister up just as Brigitta emerged from her room to face a cross armed Liesl. Brigitta rolled her eyes while Liesl nudged her back in the direction of the other children.

All the children heard the whistle they heard every morning, a sharp cold, deafening noise. It was shrill and always sounded the same. The tiniest sound could mean anything and the children still tended to jump at the noise occasionally.

Marta was put down by her brother but he still held her hand and all seven children walked downstairs to face another quiet breakfast.

Wow um sorry this chapter is soo long. The next ones wont be as long i promise and the next chapter will be when they meet Maria.

Also i know this chapter focused a lot on Marta and Gretl and that's my intention. Some chapters will focus on specific children but most will be pretty even with the exception of Liesl.

Hope you enjoy!💛💛💛