May I Have this dance?

The night of the party arrived and the children watched from the side terrace doors into the ballroom

The night of the party arrived and the children watched from the side terrace doors into the ballroom. Everyone was pretty in their outfits and enchanted by the glamour of the guests around them. There were gold accents everywhere and the orchestra made the room alive with sound. The couples were like dancing paintings that glittered and swished in tempo with the music.

"The women look so beautiful" Brigitta was in awe.

"I think they look ugly" Kurt added

"You just say that because you're scared of them" Louisa mocked her brother

"Silly, only grown up men are scared of women" Kurt retorted.

"I think the men look beautiful" Gretl remarked

"How would you know?" Louisa laughed at her sister and Gretl turned her nose in the air.

At the other set of doors Marta sighed "I wish we had a party like this every night"

"Maybe if we ask fraulein Maria" Brigitta said wandering over

"She didn't make the arrangements, it was baroness Schrader" Friedrich shut her down.

"Who told you this was all her plan" Brigitta asked

"Frau Schmidt" he responded

"How does she know?" Louisa added

"She got it from Franz"

"How does he know?" Marta grinned

"He was listening at the door."

Liesl had begun wandering about the terrace swaying with the music. She began to imagine herself in a glamorous ball gown with roses in her hair and a handsome young man asking her to dance. She was surprised so she curtsied and began to waltz with her imaginary partner.

"Liesl, who are you dancing with?" Brigitta wondered

"Nobody" she replied dreamily

"Oh yes you are" the girl grinned as Friedrich walked to his big sister and tapped her on the shoulder.

"May I have this dance?" He bowed

"I'd be delighted young man" she curtsied.

The rest of the children watched them, thinking they were ridiculous. Maria came out from the garden and began to watch.

"Why didn't you children tell me you could dance?" She was impressed and all the children were surprised because they didn't see her.

"We were afraid you'd make us all dance together, the Von Trapp Family. Dancers" Kurt responded and spun around.

Everyone laughed and the music began to change.

"What's that they're playing?" Gretl asked

"The landler, it's an Austrian folk dance" Maria answered