Now I Know why You've Sent Me Here

The next morning the little girls were woken up by Brigitta entering the room, speaking loudly of course.

"And here are the little girls" she concluded. The energetic girl had a grip on the governess and was dragging Maria behind her who looked excited but a tad overwhelmed.

"Uh Brigitta, I think they're still asleep" Maria spoke quietly as she approached the bed with the children.

Neither of the little girls moved. After the events of the night before and the fact the storm lasted longer both Gretl and Marta were curled up in Gretl's bed. Gretl was on the inside and per usual her blonde hair was covering her face as she was leaning towards Marta whose head fell right above her sister's and between the two were two tiny cloth dolls that were entangled.

"Oh father and Frau Schmidt say they need to wake up on their own but Frau Schmidt usually comes and at least knocks on their door." Brigitta explained with her hands of course.

Maria walked over to the bed and began patting Marta, hoping to wake her up.

Marta couldn't believe what she saw and when Maria saw her stir she began to wake Gretl. Both girls slowly got up and tiny stretches and baby yawns ensued.

"Well, did you dream about your favorite things?" Maria asked.

"I don't remember" Gretl yawned

"That means you slept well then" Brigitta added as she had now joined the group by the bed.

There was a crash as if a mirror had broken from the room next door. Brigitta knew Louisa had probably broken something of hers so Brigitta ran out with both panic and anger mixed on her face "Louisa, I hope you didn't brea-" and her voice faded as she left the room.

The little girls couldn't help but giggle at their sisters' frustration

"Well, why don't we get you two ready for the day. Do you have any street clothes? I'll get you some but right now I still have a few more pieces to make"

"We have to wear our uniforms" Marta spoke "but we can wear our blue set today"

"Oh no, that won't do. Since your father is gone I don't want to ruin your uniforms while he is away" Maria was almost a bit too honest but caught herself.

"We have some in there" Gretl pointed to the dresser

"Perfect" Maria smiled

Both girls were dressed and Maria walked into the other girls room to check in on the crash.

"That was my mirror Lou!" Brigitta shouted

"It was an accident" Louisa replied. Maria left the little girls outside and walked into the room where the others were arguing.

While waiting Liesl came out and saw the two little girls standing in the hallway.

"Who got you two dressed?" She asked. The screaming in the room behind them had ended and a silent Brigitta and Louisa walked out followed by a stern faced Maria.

"Fraulien Maria" Marta and Gretl said in unison.

"I usually get them ready for the day" Liesl said looking at the governess

"Liesl, you're a child yourself, you don't have to" however, Maria could see the frustration growing on Liesl's face
"How about we take turns, you get them ready one day, I'll do the next"

Liesl thought about it, she was used to getting her baby sisters ready, all her siblings actually, it was hard letting go. But she did sometimes wish she could sleep in a tad longer