We're not being Secretive

The children didn't even bother to take the bus immediately and walked about town, feeling sorry for themselves. Liesl eventually suggested that they head home and so they hopped on a bus got off at the stop close to their home. They walked through the gate to the side garden and around to the back. They began whispering about how awful the whole situation was when they saw their father emerge from the house acting a tad more chipper than usual.

"What in the world have you all been up to?" He asked smiling as he joined his children down by the lake. They all stood and thought they were going to get caught in that moment. "It's not like my children to be secretive" he continued lightly

"We're not being secretive father" Louisa said

"And it's not like my children to be late for dinner" he continued as he pat Kurt on the head. They all remained silent "okay who's gonna be the first one to tell me the truth? Brigitta, Friedrich..Liesl?"

Liesl gave her father an antagonizing look "where do you think we were?" She threw the question back at him. Her father returned the look "well if you don't believe us you must have some idea where you think we were" she snapped back and once again gave her father a smart look. The Captain sighed and Marta couldn't help herself, she giggled.

"Aha Marta" the Captain said leaning down towards the seven year old

"Yes father" all of her siblings turned to her and Friedrich nodded reassuring her. "Friedrich told you father, we were berry picking"

"I forgot you were berry picking" the Captain clapped and he was still kneeling. The children smiled and nodded, thankful they were almost out of the woods "what kind?" He asked his children

"Blueberries sir" Friedrich answered confidently

"Blueberries mmm" the Captain said emphatically and his children agreed "its uh too early for blueberries"

"They were strawberries" Friedrich added quickly

"Strawberries?" The captain looked at his son

"It's been so cold lately they turned blue" Friedrich regretted saying that the second it came out of his mouth. Louisa and Liesl rolled their eyes and Brigitta gave him a look that said 'are you kidding me'.

The Captain rose and held out his hand "very well, show me the berries"

"Uh"

"Well"

"You see"

"We don't have them anymore" Kurt said

"You don't have them anymore? What happened to them?" The captain leaned to his little boy

"We ate them" Brigitta answered confident

"Well since you've obviously stuffed yourself with thousands of delicious berries you can't be hungry anymore so I'll tell Frau Schmidt to skip your dinner" the enthusiasm that once filled the children's faces immediately faded.

The Captain walked back towards the house and had to turn around and look at how forlorn his kids looked. He knew they obviously didn't pick berries. He wasn't sure what they did, he had an idea, but they didn't seem to get into any real trouble.

"It's all your fault we should have told him the truth" Kurt yelled at his brother

"And made him mad at us?" Friedrich retorted. The kids split ip. The little girls sat on one bench with Friedrich next to them as Brigitta and Kurt sat on the other. Louisa wandered over to the gate by the lake and Liesl stood in the middle, wondering what to do next.

"It's better than starving to death" Kurt exaggerated

"We didn't do anything wrong we just wanted to see her" Louisa vented