That Ridiculous Pinecone

Louisa was beginning to get ready in her room for dinner along with Brigitta. They had a set up almost identical to the little girls except there was a long vanity on Louisa's side that the two girls shared. They were sitting on little stools in front of it as they took down their hair. Louisa set the pinecone she had collected next to her brush and noticed it

"We have to go now!" She exclaimed

"Why?" Brigitta asked as she twisted her long dark hair

"Because we have to put this is fraulein Maria's chair" Louisa replied tossing the pinecone up and down. The children didn't have to arrive at dinner all at once, but preferred to in order to avoid awkward silence with their father.

"The boys will try to stop us if they suspect anything" Brigitta warned.

"You're right" Louisa said as she thought. She then noticed a book on Brigitta's bed and grabbed the red book from the white sheets.
"We'll go put this back in the study and we'll just walk toward the dining room and if anyone sees us they'll think we're taking the book back. Plus they won't be suspicious of both of us because we hate going in there alone"

"Lou, you're too sneaky for your own good" Brigitta smiled

They finished getting ready and both girls quietly left their room. They tiptoed down the staircase towards the study that was next to the dining room. Brigitta put the book back on the shelf and the pair headed towards the large white door that connected the two rooms. Louisa had her hand on the knob when they heard

"What are you two doing? You never come to dinner this early" Franz drawled.

"Oh, I just had to return 'Around the world in 80 Days' it was quite exhilarating" Brigitta smiled sweetly

Franz simply nodded. Louisa still had her hand on the knob behind her back. They waited until he left the room and slowly entered the dining room. Louisa walked around to her seat on her father's left side and on the way she dropped the pinecone at the other head of the table. Brigitta took her seat on the right side towards the middle and they shared a slight grin.

When their father entered the room Brigitta immediately became intrigued with her green dress while Louisa became entranced by her purple one.

"Good evening girls" the captain said as he took his seat at the head. He seemed monotonous as usual.

The captain himself was tall, dark and some would say handsome. He had piercing eyes that some of his children shared. They were serious yet on rare occasions one could spot a glimpse of deep sorrow or true joy that would soften his face for a fleeting moment before turning to stone once again.

"Good evening father" both girls mumbled, which obviously was not their true character. Just then Kurt walked in followed by the rest of the siblings not long after. The children waited for the governess as was the polite thing to do, however, she was two minutes late, then five, then ten.

One group of children became rather worried, as that would not please their father. The others were excited about the exact same thing

Just then Maria entered the room with her simple gray dress and seemed rather flustered.

"Good evening fraulein Maria" they said as she sat.

"Mwhaaaaahahaa" Maria exclaimed as she grabbed her backside, she looked down and the children knew she had seen the pinecone. Louisa bit her lip, while Marta looked at the woman to see her reaction.

"Enchanting ritual? Something you learned at the abbey?" The captain said knowing full well what had happened, there was no other reason his daughters would come early. Not to mention he had pulled that prank on his friend Max while they had been in school. Like father, like daughter. Yet he chose to contain himself and not be lulled away by past pleasantries.