Get Out of that Water...I Want You to Stay

Later that afternoon Liesl and Kurt got the rowboat out of the garden house and the group set sail on the lake in their backyard

"I'm surprised you don't do this more often" Maria said as she helped Marta and Gretl into. The boat

"We're always too busy marching" was Brigitta's sarcastic reply

"Come on in" Maria motioned for the rest of the children to get on. As they loaded the boat began to sway from side to side. Gretl began holding onto the side for dear life. Maria was still wading in the water to make sure it wouldn't flip.

"Here Gretl sit across from me" Louisa said prying her sister's fingers off the side of the boat

"But I can't swim" her lip quivered

"It's okay we won't tip" Kurt assured.

They all rowed around the lake practicing different songs and after about an hour they were coming up on the gate to the house once again

"Do oh oh oh-look there's father" Friedrich shouted as he stood. This made all of the siblings and Maria look as well. They all stood up on the boat and began waving and shouting

"Oh captain you're home-ahhah" Maria screamed. Gretl reached for Louisa and Liesl and Kurt were trying to balance on each other but to no avail. The kids fell to the front, even though some practically jumped in. Maria however fell off the back. They were laughing so hard because the water wasn't even that deep and the older children could easily touch the bottom. Louisa carried Gretl as she kicked her legs and Friedrich went after Kurt to dunk him.

 Louisa carried Gretl as she kicked her legs and Friedrich went after Kurt to dunk him

"Get out of that water at once!" The Captain shouted. He was embarrassed, the baroness was right there and she was secretly trying to keep her composure

"Oh you must be Baroness Schrader" Maria yelled from the water as she was grabbing the rope to tie the boat back up

The children waded up to the shore and were still laughing hysterically at their own clumsiness.

"Oh that was so fun" " I'm soaked to the skin" " I have water in my ears" "i can't believe that happened!"

Soon the shrill whistle broke through the laughter and the kids slipped and slid into their line as Maria came up the stairs.

"Go inside, dry off, change your clothes, report back here, immediately!" The captain stated firmly and all seven children scrambled into the house

As they ran upstairs they could hear their father and Maria arguing.

"We are in so much trouble" Marta said, a tad scared. Liesl and Louisa were helping the little girls change.

"It was so fun though" Louisa grinned like a Cheshire cat as she rung out Marta's hair.

Just then Kurt and Friedrich walked in, they were quick about changing and didn't have as much hair to tame.

"Switch" Kurt stated as Liesl tossed him a uniform and motioned for Gretl to put up her arms.

Liesl and Louisa ran to get changed as quickly as possible.

Liesl's room was in a corner so she could see both the side and back garden very easily. She could hear the yelling, she peeped out the window and saw both Maria and her father pacing

"Don't wish to hear anymore from you in this matter" the Captain waved his arm

"I know you don't but you've got to" Maria said emphatically

Liesl felt that she was somewhat responsible. This wasn't supposed to happen. But she was so happy the past few weeks, laughing, playing music, MUSIC!

"Guys I have an idea" she shouted as she ran to the nursery to retrieve the guitar.

"What?" Brigitta asked as all the children emerged from their rooms

"This" Liesl said lifting the guitar "Kurt, Friedrich, go find the Baroness. Gretl, go to the side gardens and grab a clump of flowers, actually Brigitta go with her. The rest of you come with me"

(Insert little sound of music reprise right here)

The captain stood and stared at his children. Maria had been right. He didn't know them, certainly not this new version of them. Seeing them sing, was eye opening. Louisa and Gretl looked identical to their mother in that moment. Seeing Liesl and Friedrich so grown up. Brigitta teeming with curiosity and Kurt on the cusp of becoming a man. Sweet little Marta was tearing up and Brigitta rushed to her father and wrapped her arms around his waist as the younger girls joined her. He acknowledged all of his kids and they were grateful to be close to him. They realized that this was the beginning of a new season of life.

Gretl looked over her father's arm to see Maria in the hallway. Maria then motioned to the Baroness who was sitting gracefully in a chair.

"Edelweiss" she said as Gretl curtsied "Georg you never told me how enchanting your children are"

Gretl looked once more out the door and this made the Captain do the same as he saw Maria rush to the stairs.

The children were introducing themselves to the governess, but Liesl and Friedrich hung back a bit, enough to hear their father's conversation with the governess.

"I want you to stay, I ask you to stay" the heard their father say and the two children looked at each other with wide eyes.

Heyoo welp, another chapter. This whole section of the movie is just iconic. Also love the scene where the Captain goes after Maria. I truly think that's where something more begins to happen.

Anyways next chapter won't be so copy and paste from the movie

Hope you enjoy!!!