Only During Thunderstorms

Liesl wandered down to the gazebo where she and Rolf typically met. She saw him emerge from behind a tree and ran to him. They embraced and spun around.

The two talked for a while until Liesl spoke sadly "if only we didn't have to wait for someone to send father a telegram. How will I know when I'll see you again?"

Rolf pondered for a bit "I could come here by mistake. With a telegram from Colonel Schnyder. He's here from Berlin-oh, no one is supposed to know he's here. Don't tell your father now" he pleaded

"Why not" Liesl asked from the bench she was sitting on

"He's so Austrian" Rolf said

"We're all Austrian" Liesl giggled

"I know, but some people think we ought to be German and they're mad at those who don't think so" Rolf explained

"Don't worry about father" Liesl shrugged "he's a big naval hero. He was even decorated by the emperor"

"It's not him I worry about, but I do worry about his daughter" Rolfe added cheekily

(Sixteen going on Seventeen ensues)

_____________
In the house
-------------------

Friedrich was reading in bed as he heard Maria tuck in the little girls next door. He liked how all the rooms were connected. The big girls, the little girls, the boys, then Liesl. It also made it extremely convenient to eavesdrop.

He continued to read as a storm began to brew. Kurt was reading as well and the brothers were having a race to see who could finish "Sherlock Holmes" the fastest. While it was great to have a storm add to the mood of the story, he began to worry about Liesl.

"Did you hear Liesl walk by?" He asked his little brother

"Uhh, no..why?" Kurt was confused

Friedrich shut his book and looked out the window. He saw both Rolf and Liesl running away and he knew she was going to have to find a way back inside.

Meanwhile, both Brigitta and Louisa were in bed struggling to sleep because of the thunder. They were a little on edge but would never admit it out loud so they continued to simply hide under their blankets.

The little girls were already scared to tears almost as they huddled together in Gretl's bed.

"What about Fraulein Maria? I wouldn't be scared with her. She's safe" Gretl stated. She crawled out of the bed and ran out the door. She creeped to the other hallway and entered the room where Maria was turning down the bed. She tried to be brave but was secretly comfortable wrapped in Maria's arms.

Marta couldn't stand being alone so she went to go find her brothers but as she ran out she saw Brigitta and Louisa.

"What are you doing?" Brigitta asked the 6 year old

"I'm scared" was all she said

Louisa interrupted. She had an idea that she wasn't too fond of but knew it would work "even though we really aren't supposed to go to Maria's room, she'll cover for us. Let's go"

Brigitta grabbed Marta's hand and the sisters ran to join the governess.

Kurt could not handle the thunder anymore. It was distracting him. Meanwhile, Friedrich was getting worried about Liesl.

"Let's go find them" Friedrich got up and headed to the door.

"What if we get caught? Who are we looking for? Kurt asked

"Ugh, just come" Friedrich said motioning to the door and shoving his brother out of it.

First they looked in the little girls room, empty. Then to Liesl's, empty.

"Hey there goes Lou" Kurt pointed across the foyer to the other hallway to a swoosh of a blonde braid.

"Let's go"

__________
Maria's room
--------------

__________Maria's room--------------

Maria sat on her bed hugging Gretl. She was happy. She was finally making some progress with Liesl and Gretl seemed to like her

There was a clap of thunder and three other girls appeared at the door.

"Look" Maria said to Gretl and the little girl grinned at the sight of her sisters

"Alright everybody, up here on the bed" Maria moved Gretl next to her

"Really?" Marta asked as she ran to the other side

"Just this once come on. Now all we have to do is wait for the boys"

Louisa knew better "you won't see them the boys are brave"

Just then Kurt and Friedrich raced to the room to find their sisters on the bed with Maria.

"You boys weren't scared too were you?" The governess asked as the girls held in laughs

"Oh no" Friedrich began "we just wanted to be sure you weren't

"That's very thoughtful of you Friedrich"

" oh it wasn't my idea. It was Kurt's" and Kurt flashed his brother an irritated look.

"Kurt!" Maria exclaimed

"Why does it do that?" Marta asked after another clap of thunder

"The lightning says something to the thunder and the thunder answers back"

Marta didn't like that "Why does it get so angry it makes me want to cry?" She snuggled closer

"Well if I ever feel unhappy I just try to think of nice things" Maria explained

"What kind of things?" Kurt, Louisa and Brigitta asked

(My favorite things happens..i just can't do it justice)

The children scurried out of the room and ran to their hall. All they could hear was a loud conversation between their father and the governess.

"They're going to kill each other" Brigitta said

"I can't believe she let us do that" Marta skipped with excitement

"Ok I want her to stay" Louisa admitted enthusiastically

"What do you think?" Friedrich asked with a knowing look to his big sister.

Liesl reflected on her and Maria's conversation and she slightly smiled "I think I like her"

See this one is shorter. The next few chapters are gonna be kinda different but i hope you'll like it anyway

Thanks for reading!💛💛💛