What a Duet, for a Girl and Goatherd

"Okay here you are my dears" Max said as he led the children to the ballroom where multiple large boxes were located.

"It's not put together?" Gretl looked up at Max

"Umm no, sorry" Max pat her head.

"Its alright, we're smart and we have good strong boys to help us" Maria said looking towards the boys then to Max arms crossed "Right?" She added with a look.

"Is that the baroness I hear? Ta ta" Max scurried out of the room. Maria was frustrated but a little amused.

"Ok its fine" she sighed

They worked for about an hour and had the base built. The little girls had unpacked all the puppets and began to untangle the strings. All in all They were over building this stage.

Just then the Captain walked by humming and peeped in out of curiosity.

"Oh no father" Brigitta ran up to him "It's a surprise" she said trying to push him out of the way.

"Too bad you seem to be making a mess right in front of me" he smiled as he picked her up out of the way. Brigitta was alright with it though, she used to be scared of her father but she liked him this way more.

"So what's the surprise exactly?" He asked looking at the array of puppets, boxes and the beginning of a stage.

"Puppets" Marta and Gretl said holding up two goats.

The Captain looked to Maria, genuinely confused. She put down the pieces she was holding defeated. "We were going to put on a little show for you and the baroness. I thought it might help with the children and all, but we forgot about this little detail" she smiled as she motioned with her head to the mess around her.

"Good thing I'm here and not Max" he smirked sarcastically at his boys. "I'm sure we can figure it out soon enough" he said patting Brigitta's back and joining his children on the floor. He honestly just wanted to spend time with them, without the baroness talking over his shoulder. He also wanted to help his sons learn and thought this was a great time to do that.

Friedrich and Kurt helped their father and the three of them did most of the work but the boys were more than happy to help, Friedrich in particular. He had a few memories of his father teaching him things but not like this, probably because he was so much older now.

Brigitta and Louisa of course helped since neither liked to be left out so Maria and Liesl took over untangling strings from the little girls.

"And one more right there" the Captain said pointing to the corner of the stage. The main front piece was finally nailed on and he let Louisa nail the last one.

The girls had finished the puppets long before and had simply watched. Maria loved seeing how much the children had grown over the past couple of months and she enjoyed watching the Captain work on his relationships with his children, especially after their argument. She respected his decision to get to know them better and even though the children weren't wild about the baroness, he tried to get them to spend time together.

"Well what do you think?" The Captain looked at Maria with his arms crossed. The pair was leaning back and looking at the work.

"I think the children made it look wonderful" she replied looking about the room at all of them.

"When can we do the show?" Brigitta asked walking back away from the stage as well.

"When we figure out what to sing" Friedrich said rolling his eyes and flipping a hammer in his hand.

"Well, I think it's time we washed up for dinner" Maria said, getting ready to stand when the Captain offered her his hand which she reluctantly accepted. They stood and held eye contact longer than they should have and Maria gave a slight smile but immediately shook herself out of it.

"Come on" she stammered as she grabbed Marta's hand and headed out the door. Of course the children ran after her but Liesl and Friedrich took a moment.

"Thank you father" Friedrich turned and said to the man. Liesl walked past her brother to her father and hugged him. The Captain smiled at his two oldest children.

"Go on, don't keep her waiting" he said holding Liesl by the shoulders.

The siblings and the Captain walked out, happy with their day.

Heyoo, another shorter chapter. Ive always thought about how that stage got there so..there ya go.

Also Maria and the Captain...tea

Hope you enjoyed💛💛💛