Chapter Forty

It was almost dusk when Earnest got back home that sunny Tuesday. He had skipped the bus and had decided to have a walk with Timothy who had also left his faulty bicycle at home.

The house was silent as usual and somehow he thought Mercy would be in her room sleeping or reading a book as she unexpectedly came home today.

He knocked on her room's door but got no response except from the gurgling of sound from rather the kitchen.

He flung the door open and all he saw was a teddy bear sleeping on a toasty bed with a book placed in front of it. Mercy could really be a little childish at her age.

Well. Earnest just took a sigh and pulled the door back before relocating to his own room to swap his clothes. A blue,red frilled cloak over a pair of black shorts could certainly do well in kitchen works with Susane.

It was a Tuesday and Earnest would take it as normal to Susane in the kitchen rather than the store. Kemi had been busy with different couple dates with her husband for the past days and barely had time for the store. She could actually have called off going to the store at this time to allow Susane too have a feel of the new lease and love encompassing the house.

Earnest would believe it was that that had happened as he walked straight into the kitchen,

"Evening". He greeted as he moved nearer to the sink.

" Oh,Earnest". She replied with a smile.

"Where are they?"He asked and sharply retrieved a napkin from a rack.

" Out"

"On a couple date again?"He started to dry the dishes she had rinsed.

" Yeah"Susane simply beamed at two things. The sight of Earnest offering a helping hand in the kitchen could still a bit amaze her. And the second was,she had seen Kemi and Gideon in their happiest mood today,they looked gay and perfect couple in their traditional attire which could be a reminiscent of their long marriage.

"Think they want to chase back all the lost time" Earnest joked.

"They really looked happy this morning" Susane decided to say it and nodded with that constant smile.

"What of Mercy?". It shot into Earnest to ask her even though he could bet Mercy had gone to see a friend at Texas or Houston for the lunch.

" They went together ". Susane proved him wrong.

" Really?". He was a bit displeased and his hands stalled on a plate he was drying.

"What's that?" Susane noticed and nudged him.

"So they left me out?". He came back to life with a joking pitch and a slow nodding of his head understandably.

" C'mon. You left yourself out ". Susane said.

And Earnest raised a brow towards her.

" You went to school". She explained.

"Oh," Earnest almost laughed at her reason but rather sensed a strategy from it. So,Kemi had told Mercy to come home for the so called date or party while Gideon had simply left out his own boy. "Dad should have told me about it too" He shrugged.

"And?". Susane did not understand how that could have helped.

"I'd been out of school for fourteen days. A day off again won't be a thing". He pouted.

" You've not learnt a lesson"Susane scolded mildly.

"I have learnt a lot" He disagreed.

"And you want to do that?"