Chapter Thirty Two

The police siren pierced into the morning silence as the corpses were packed into the health bus. The villagers were gathered in the cold air,sobbing sympathetically either for the dead ones or for those awaiting their imminent death.

The incurable disease had visited them and killed many. It was a disease that had been initially contacted from one of those ladies that had accompanied the white man to the village.

The man had been a nemesis ever since his arrival. He had sent many to the so called Lagos and they never returned. He had given them a taste of quick wealth,but also with a taste of quick death which had been rampant in the last few days.

His devilish face could be seen scowling at the back of the police van,his eyes hard as rock and never showing any remorse like his female companions.

Adeoke soon appeared out of the palace with Gideon Williams, looking lean and rueful as they march towards the crowd of mournful villagers.

Earnest had rather occupied himself with a talk with Adio at Pa Thomson's hut while Kemi and Mercy hurdle in agony of the corpses and frightening lean figures.

Adeoke and Gideon halted their steps when they were well into talking distance with the people. And with a raise of his staff to command little silence,Adeoke began to talk, "We're sorry,the inhabitants of Oge'. It was our misdeeds and lack of discernment that had brought this calamity to the village.

I and the elders thought we were inviting success into the village by calling the white man into our midst. We thought he would make us rich overnight. We never knew it would turn out sour. It never happened like this in Imure but it only made us discover more that two heads can never be the same. It made us cherish contentment the more and never to covet others.

Kurunmi,the legend, was always emphasizing this before his sudden death. How I wish he was alive to see his words come true. How I wish we had heeded to him.

Put the blame all on me and the other chiefs, the dead ones and those still lucky to be alive. I pray the gods of this land not take revenge on us and I also congratulate all of you still alive and breathing. I promise this type of sad history will not repeat itself in Oge'. I want us to build good community again after this. The health personnel is here to talk to us and teach us all we need to sail through"

Adeoke ended his long speech and with a slow elderly nods,he succinctly gave Gideon Williams the permission to launch into words.

"I console you all the people of Oge'. This is really a terrible fate for a village known for its peace and good living. I was given birth to and raised here,so I'm never unaware of that.

I hope you've all learnt your lessons as the king had said. There is nothing bad in craving civilization and developments. Being civilized is good but we cannot also overemphasize the vices that come along with it.

Civilization, as much as we crave it,should not kill our culture and morals. We shouldn't allow foreign culture to take over us and make us neglect our beautiful old ways.

We should learn to be contented and not die for quick money. Money is good too but might not if it doesn't come at the right time through the right source.

The white man was never the right source. The man misused the naive kids,introduced them into drug trafficking with a lure of sending them to Lagos and whenever they get caught,the man had big connections to get himself clean and innocent while the kids lose their lives or end behind bars. The young ladies who moved closer to the man's companions and copied their ways also met with their doom and spread the dangerous disease to almost everyone in the village.

Many racists among you would think the man is the bad one. What of your covetous kids that are so much in haste for money at their tender age?. The white men are good people but not all of them are. The black men are good too,but also not all. I live in the white man land and I know how wonderful beings they are. The white man here is just an exile and a bad example of them as your covetous kids are also bad examples to African culture.

All of you want to go to Lagos and get quick riches. Who told you everyone succeeds in Lagos?. Who told you the city is the permanent dwelling of riches?. Who ever said you can't be better than those in the city if you stay back and work hard at your home.

There is not better place than home,I just realized that not long ago. I've also fallen like you before. I left my family and home and thought there was enjoyment outside there but I only met with pains and vices. The outside and city you people want to emulate are full of vices than you can ever imagine.

You have a taste of it already. The incurable disease that visited you and killed many. It is called Human Immunodeficiency Syndrome ( HIV) while the severe one is called Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome (AIDS). It is a very deadly disease that defies cure and had been killing many in the city you admire.

I sympathize for the lives lost through this disease and I also want to congratulate those still living but suffering from this disease that you still have slight chances to live longer.

The disease is deadly but stigmatization can be more dangerous. Don't show hatred towards those infected. They are still humans like you. Show them love,care and attention and that's the only way to start up a good community again.

I'm a medical personnel and I can help get as many of you to the city for good care and treatments at specialized hospitals. Remember that being infected is not the end but losing hope instantly put an end to your life.

Let's come together and revive our dying home and culture again". Gideon also ended his epistle of words and before a count of five,another voice was coming up.

It was Earnest's.

"I apologize to you all. I'm sorry I also aided this doom to visit the village. I wrote a letter to my friends,Adio and Koto,urging them to accept new culture and civilization into the village without proper warning on their negatives. I'm sorry I never realized the beauty in our tradition then,I had thought it was a useless practice until I met someone who changed my thinking and opened my eyes to the treasure in it.

I apologize for the lives lost. I apologize to the sleeping soul of Koto. I apologize to everyone still living and I want you all to continue in your admirable culture. It is a good thing that you have and cherish. I'm sorry I've once made you lose and neglect it. Forgive me"

He concluded and his eyes started their moment of tears. Kemi and Mercy moved closer and consoled him in a grave silence.

Everyone else abided in the silence as well,mourning the period and regretting the past. And when it seemed the tranquility would last forever,the police van suddenly coughed back into life and drew all eyes towards it.

The scary eyes of the white man was still staring ominously as the van moved,like he was going to back and hunt them.

But it had ended. The beast was gone and never would he or any appearance of him come back to Oge' again.

Be it white man or black man. No strange culture will ever reign in the village again.