Chapter Thirty Seven

Music buzzing into ears and a smile to the star-painted sky, Earnest learnt on the pink veranda of the Williams' building,admiring the sky and coveting the stars.

"Thinking about the black angel?". A voice sounded behind him as Timothy appeared with a tumbler of coffee.

Earnest loved the sound of black angel and not black bitch from him, " Somehow". He winked back.

"I still find it funny really". Timothy said as he matched his repose on the veranda.

" That we became friends?". Earnest knew instantly what he meant. Even he still find it ridiculous himself that he eventually became friends with Morenike while Daisy became estranged from him.

"Honestly. How quickly things change"

"Yeah" Earnest just smiled.

"Don't you think you might have a rival.for her?". Timothy suggested after a two-second sip of his coffee.

"Like who?" Earnest only knew he could have a rival for Daisy which was Michel. And well,right now,he hated the sight of Daisy and Michel could have his damn thing for all he cared.

"Like Timothy". Timothy said with a sidelong smile taking over his lips.

Earnest then showed his amazement as he withdrew from his position on the veranda," Which Timothy? ". He asked with a cocky beam.

" Which other Timothy do you know?"

"Well," Earnest shrugged,"The one I know doesn't even like a Morenike"

"I like her already". Timothy said snappily and gave a funny act of affection.

" Hey. Don't mess with me,right"Earnest warned in mock anger.

"Jealous?"

"Just don't mess with me"He repeated

Timothy waited and observed him in a silence," You stick to your thing, I'm just joking"

"Bad idea" Earnest said as he plugged off the headphones. There was that melody of the late birds and night breezes that his ears crave more to listen to.

"Truly nothing really seems a good idea anymore". Timothy said with a heave of sigh.

And Earnest's eyes narrowed towards him. What did he mean by that statement?

" You know,our plan to dethrone Daisy. We thought it was a good idea but---". He took another swig of his coffee.

"But she proved smarter. She fooled me" Earnest concluded for him.

"She fooled us". Timothy corrected.

" Yeah. She's so dangerous "

"You don't want to forgive her anytime soon?". Timothy asked after he noticed the tint of anger in Earnest's eyes.

" I don't want to forgive her forever ". Earnest slammed

" Why?"

"Is there a reason I should?" None. To him,absolutely none.

"But we planned against her too" Timothy gave a reason.

"But we failed"

"It would pain her too if we'd succeeded"

"Not as much as hers pained me" His own plan with Timothy would not have got her suspended from school. It would not have got her banished from a school choir or even got her to lose a CAAS leadership role. All these were what he had suffered from her most wicked plan.

"It doesn't even seem to hurt as we'd thought". Timothy said and lifted his shoulders in perfect nonchalance

" Really?"Earnest's eyes widened.

"You gained something good in it all,isn't it?"

"Like?"

"You gained Morenike"

"Aggh" Earnest's eyes shut as he gave a sound of frustration

"While I never gained anything". Timothy rather continued.

" You did not lose anything either". Earnest confronted with an eye open. He was the major culprit in the whole drama. He was the one who got suspended and suffered days in his mother's black book.

"I did" Timothy retorted, "I lost Daisy". He said and Earnest opened the second eye in amazement," Yeah. I lost her. She was the one I always trusted before... "He trailed off before regaining his power of speech," And I almost lose you too"

"Thank God you didn't" Earnest chuckled and then gave an act of looking at the surrounding darkness,"What do you think about the weather tonight?"

"Calls for a sleep under the almond". Timothy opined. It was mildly cold and an open sleep under the smell of the almond would promise nothing but good.

" Opposite "Earnest shook his head," I suggest it calls for fun. That we catch fun and stay awake till daybreak"

"Do I ever have anything fun that could keep me away from sleep?" Timothy despaired.

"Tennis can do for me" Earnest assured.

"Thinking about her can do also". Timothy teased and watched Earnest almost smile.

" You won't stop messing with me this night?". He said, then snatched the tumbler and hid his smile as he drained the remaining content.

"I think you'll always never sleep if you do that". Timothy would not still stop.

" I hate you,guy"Earnest joked and set the tumbler on the veranda.

"Try it and you'll love me later"

"Get off that," Earnest dismissed and started to walk away from the veranda,"I want to get to a court,will you like to escort?"

"This night?"

"Yeah" He affirmed as he cornered into the building entrance.

"Where?"

"Morenike's place. Her Dad plays tennis and he plays wonderfully well. Want him to be my coach soon. I will really,really get better with him". He narrated while he completely disappeared into the building before Timothy could bring up another question.