Chapter Twenty Nine

Come,sit and let's learn,
The beautiful way of then,
Thinking far back to the past,
Those old values of pride,
The long treasures of ours,
Something no money can buy.

Morenike's place was more of a palace than Earnest could have thought. Quietly planted at the suburb of Texas,with its peak seeming to reach for the panorama of stars and its balcony showered with a pale yellow of the bright moon.

She took him down into the foyer while he stole glances at the flowers and greenery of the compound. They were unreal beauty and showed the pleasure of nature. They showed the green tradition of Africans and a unique taste of culture.

Earnest followed as she moved up the whitish stairs and paid false attention to whatever she was saying about the traditional drawings on the walls.

She had agreed to teach him some kitchen skills and he had promised to be a good student. She had the home advantage too to scold him as willing as she could.

They rounded the stairs and fell into another,making Earnest to grunt while her jaws still danced with the history associated with some portraits that lined the wall they currently tread.

There could really be home factor to people's character. Not that Morenike had ever been silent in the short time he had spent with her, but she was more talkative this night, splashing words about any picture that came to view.

She finally fell silent when they were faced with a brown polished door which soon creaked to reveal a neat and airy kitchen that could easily settle for a bedroom.

The windows were well spread wide, the surges of cold night breeze having unchecked entry and despite being in a hooded jacket,Earnest still felt himself shake with the effect.

"So here we start" She announced and drew out a drawer from a chest. It revealed a fresh collection of vegetables; onions, cabbages,tomatoes,gingers and all.

She withdrew a knife from a rack and looked up at him,"What are you learning first?"

"Anything" Earnest just shrugged and stole another glance round. It was impressive. Everything he had seen so far had been impressive and angelic. It sounded ironic he had once thought a bitch would have come from such a place.

"African local dishes?"

"Nope" Earnest objected quickly.

"Why?" Morenike's eyes rolled.

"They are always tough"

Morenike gave mocking smile,"You said anything ". She said and slid over an apron that made her look like a proper teacher, like a proper mother like Kemi Williams.

" Oh well,"She continued. "I'll pick mashing. You can mash potatoes,eggs,anything?" She asked,staring hopefully into his eyes.

"Nothing" Earnest pouted and comfortably repose on one of the kitchen's shelves.

"Aggh" Morenike despaired and her eyes caught his relaxed posture, "Your hood off,and that posture isn't for a learner. You better pick up an apron now and get to learn" She snapped and threw an apron at him before he could make a choice.

"What of your Dad?". Earnest asked rather, catching the fluffy cloth in a palm.

" He knew you were coming". That should settle it,if there was any anxiety coming up in Earnest. She had told her Dad about a friend coming this night and had even told the funny purpose of it.

"I know. Just want to say hello" Earnest needed to say a greeting as she had taught him to always do. A greeting to everyone in the house in the morning and also greetings first to anyone in any house he enters;that was one of the various lectures he had received from her.