Chapter Twenty Four

It takes a little while,
A second for a face to light,
The sorrow of long dries,
A sad heart giving a smile.

A sigh and eyes set like granite,Earnest made himself promise again not to get coaxed by whatever explanation she had to make.

According to Susane, she was staying at a sidewalk not too faraway and Earnest wished he would not be left alone with her like the other time but Susane had encouraged that she was here to make peace and would not utter any nasty word.

Susane had decided to stay back for a sensible reason. She expected him to spend a deal of time with his guest and would be on guard for him over the course. She would watch out for Kemi Williams and run out to notify him of anything if necessary.

Okay. That was nice and made him cherish Susane the more. He would not consider her as an ordinary maid again. She was better as a sister, even more than the disgusting Mercy.

He spat into the cold air and cornered towards the sidewalk. There she was. Her skin blending well with the engulfing darkness, her traditional braids gleaming under the moon's light and her eyes glistening like a black angel's.

But she was no angel,she was rather an agent sent from somewhere to destabilize his life,she was someone he should even----Earnest's range of thoughts ended when his eyes struck the beam on her face. It was a calm and soothing smile but he would still hate it.

"Thanks for coming" She said gently.

Earnest did not respond. He just scowled. He noticed her perfect gap tooth but instantly took it off his head. He was not here for that. He reminded his inner man.

"How's everything?" She asked with equal cautiousness.

"Is that why you are here?" Earnest retorted. What the heck was her business with how well he had been. Was it not she had wanted that had happened to him or what the thing was she thinking when she reported him to the cruel Maxwell.

"I'm sorry for it all but don't get it all wrong,Earn" Her voice placated and the sound of 'Earn' from her sent shivers down his spine.

It was because of the night's cold and Earnest forced himself to believe it was nothing more than that.

"All wrong?". Earnest scoffed. Is there a way he would ever get a bit of it wrong?. And she now mentioning getting it all wrong sounds really ridiculous.

" I didn't report anything to Mr. Max,I didn't. I was surprised when I got his call too"

After the fierce scene that day,she had run to one of the cleaning rooms and got herself out of the mess. She had avoided the crowd ever since to prevent annoying questions and it was a big surprise to her when Maxwell called her the next day to inquire about the incidence.

"You think I'll believe that?" Earnest scoffed again. So,she was trying to prove innocent. Who else would have gone to Maxwell to make the report. How funny could she think he would just buy that.

"Ask Michel,he was there too. I was called upon to give explanations and I could not lie. I saw Daisy coming out on my way going in too" She defended with some facts.

Earnest's brain picked them up and tried to reason it. He also saw Daisy at the fierce scene too,and he had at one time seen Daisy and Michel together.

But it wasn't making any sense. The idea that would bring up was practically senseless.

Oh. He would not get trapped by that. The black bitch was trying to explore his rivalry with Daisy and coldness to Michel to bring something up. How smart she could be. But not smart enough. Not smart enough for an Earnest.