Chapter Thirty One

The wind is over,
Over the deck the captain cries,
Across the sea a night splash,
A feeling that brings faces to smile,
How sweet to have it all back,
The long lost bond and life.

Kemi woke up with a start and rushed down the stairs. It was still dawn and definitely not exact time to get the breakfast done.

Had Mercy woken up so much early to fill the house with the aroma?

Kemi wanted to tell her it was no longer going to be pemmican and chips for the morning. She had rather chosen a more local dish which was Gideon's favourite.

She ranted some words as she traced the aroma towards the kitchen.

Mercy had been there earlier,in her great shock as Earnest looked business-like in the double-sewn apron doing a meal of mashed potatoes, sauced meats and desserts.

Earnest looked over a shoulder and spotted her at the doorstep.

"Hi. Good morning Mercy". He greeted and Mercy did a double take.

" Morning". She muttered back in amazement and it was then Kemi appeared,peeping from her back.

"What's that?"She asked.

" Earnest". A quiet response. Mercy had not recovered from the shock.

"Where did you get all this?". Was Kemi's question when she saw what was happening in the kitchen. She had actually kept off the house foodstuffs from his and Susane's reach and it was still Tuesday,the twelfth day of his punishment.

" Good morning ma". Earnest bowed rather and Kemi's eyes widened in their sockets.

"I asked a question". She slammed.

" Someone provided them".Earnest replied calmly,smiling.

"Who?". It was Mercy's voice with a pitch of interest.

" Morenike,you know her?". Earnest asked as he cast a monitoring look on what he was cooking.

No. Mercy shook her head.

"But what's happening in this house lately," She mumbled and then faced Kemi, "I heard people laughing at your room last night,who are they?". She was not expecting Kemi to share a laughing moment with Gideon. No. That could never have happened.

" Gideon and I ". Kemi dropped the shocker and Earnest did his surprise with a smile while Mercy's lips  dropped.

"How?"Mercy's brows waggled for explanation.

"Our fight and misunderstanding are settled". Kemi replied with the biggest of smile.

" By who?"

"One Mrs. Collins"

"Morenike's Mum?". Earnest exclaimed rather.

" You know her?"

"Yes". Earnest nodded, " She's Morenike Mum. She's a counsellor ". He affirmed and Kemi nodded too.

Earnest suddenly felt his heart bathed with unreal joy. Morenike actually made good her promise. She had brought the idea of her Mum helping to settle the differences between Gideon and Kemi and now she had fulfilled it. She was a darling. An angel. A jewel that he had previously disdained.

" Are you really taking him back?". Mercy still asked,unconvinced after a moment of silence.

"Yes". Kemi nodded.

" Don't get deceived again,Mum". Mercy almost cried. It was not the first time Gideon would return to the house after long weeks of absence and he had never repented of his misdeeds.

"I'm not, Mercy. I know what you're thinking but Gideon has changed". Kemi assured.

"Are you sure?"

"Totally". A big,masculine voice sounded inches away. It was Gideon Williams,looking sober and repentant in the close- fitting pyjamas.

" I'm a changed man now kids. I'm sorry I left you guys and pursue useless life out of home. Please forgive your Dad. I want you all back. The peace in the house,my beautiful children and wonderful wife". He repented and drew Kemi closer in a warm,promising embrace,"Will you give me a chance again,kids". He said and planted a kiss on his wife's forehead.

In that nanosecond, Mercy looked towards Earnest and they both shared a rare smile before giving a chorused response.

"Of course. We will"

"We want a happy home". Earnest said after the chorus to gain the attention of Gideon.

" What's that,Earn boy ".He asked,holding his woman jealously like a treasure lost and found.

"Mashed potatoes and spiced meats"

"Ho,who taught you that?". Gideon asked eagerly. He was never oblivious of his son's poor culinary skills.

"Morenike Collins". Earnest purred.

Gideon was startled and looked into Kemi's eyes for clarification.

" Yes. Her mother. She's Earnest's friend". Kemi shed the light and Gideon hummed.

"She's a friend you should not lose". He said to Earnest and they both exchanged father-son beam before Mercy showed her reemergence into the scene with a whoosh.

" Ya, I got something for Earnest". She screamed and brought out a case from her back. She flipped it open and revealed the golden watch and ruby adorned shoes whose sparkles caused all eyes to brighten and all lips to exclaim. "These"

"That will cost a fortune,Mercy". Kemi gave a lame reproof.

" Yes,it's all for my brother. I bought it long time ago". Mercy accounted.

"Thanks Sis,I love you". Earnest's grin matched the brilliance of the gold and rubies.

" I also got something for you kids". Gideon announced too,not allowing that moment to go down.

"What's that?"

"A suspense". Gideon laughed.

" I have a request to make". Earnest's voice came up again.

"What's it?". Kemi asked after noticing the ominous fleck on him.

" I want us to get back to Nigeria". Earnest dropped it and everyone else stared a 'why?" simultaneously. "There's trouble in Oge' currently. They are dying and I misled them to it. It's very urgent and I need you all to help me out". He expatiated and there was a speechless break afterwards.

Kemi looked towards Gideon tactfully and he decided to come in, " We will. If they are really dying,then we will be merciful enough to help them. It's been a long time I visited them too. So we will. Very soon". His commanding voice raised Earnest's hope and made his face lit the more.

"Thanks Dad. I love you." He crooned and then looked round into everyone's eyes, "I love you all. You all. Everyone. I'm sorry for before. We've changed. Dad and I . Your men have changed for good"