08 | problems cleared

-n o a h-

As I rush to make it out of the odor-filled locker room, I join the half of the team that was already outside, warming up. Coach had his eyes set on the clipboard he held with a tight grip. He had been really tense lately with all the wins our competitors had, meaning he would push us harder during practise, which I didn't really mind. 

Coach Rhodes was known for his working ethics, and they were amazing. His coaching leads us to our wins and even though some of the freshmen might complain about the pains they get the following night, his hard-ass coaching ways lead us to be known well for our wins, so like I said, I didn't mind. 

He clears his throat, gaining the whole team's attentions as he speaks. "I have a couple new plays that we need to try, so, take a look where you all will be and get ready. I don't want tardiness." he says and the field is filled with complying nods. The boys were smart enough not to mess with Coach when we were on the field. 

Outside though, we were like his annoying children, with weird demands. The most recent one, the boys were planning on asking Coach to fulfill their strong 'need' to have a pet for the team. They obviously hadn't asked him yet because of his off mood, but as soon as he sheds one smile, the boys will be on his case about them wanting their pet pig. 

But luckily, his wrath will be saved for a while. We read his affirmative handwriting- which somehow shows how scary the guy is, and position ourselves to continue with the play. 

I wish I could say that practise was just us trying the new plays that Coach had planned for us, but I can't. He was on our asses the whole time about small mistakes some of the players made. I could tell the whole team wanted to yell at those guys for not getting their heads straight. And Blake as captain, wanted to yell at them the most. I kept seeing his clenched fists when one of them messed up and only prayed he would not say anything for the sake of the boys. Because even though they were on my nerves as well, no one could handle Blake's wrath when it came to the field. 

I guess the only one who could control him would be Kelsey, but unlucky for the team, she isn't here. But it would be nice to have her here right? Then I could pester her into telling me where her best friend was. 

And somehow, Lila is back in my mind. This week has been absolute shit. Her, storming her way back in my mind, every single night. And football was the only thing that got the blonde-headed she-devil out of my head. But practise was over, sadly. 

Making our way back in the locker room, we all take a seat on some benches and get changed out. Most of the boys took showers and make our way back to the benches, when Coach enters.

He stands in front of us with a strict look that I felt a bit scared of, but nonetheless, we wait for him to speak. "You boys have been doing good. And I wish I could say 'I'm sorry' for pushing your asses so hard, but you need it." he looks away from his clipboard. There was Coach for you. Not an apology, just a 'letting ya know' remark from him. Coach wasn't really the kiss your boo-boo kind of guy. He wasn't like that to anyone, except his daughter maybe. 

Whenever he was in a pissy mood, we would call Kate, and she would help us real good. After that, he would be nice for a while, until going back to his ways. Then, we would be calling Kate again. Nice cycle right? 

"But today, you guys did really could." he says, with a small smile, and I felt the horror creep on. The boys are going to ask for the damn pig now. I saw small movements from beside me and saw a couple of boys nudging Blake to go on. As the captain, he kind of signed up for these talks with Coach, so he is really the one to blame. He clears his throat, standing up. 

"Coach, we kind of have something we want." Blake says. 

Coach looks at Blake in a glare and huffs. "Out with it, Gray." he says. 

"We.. we kind of wanted.." Blake hesitates, and for all the right reasons. I would've have been scared too. "We want a pet, Coach." Josh says helping Blake out, and I see him sigh in relief. Coach on the other hand held a confusing glare towards both Josh and Blake. "What?" he questions with a raised eyebrow. 

"The team wants a pet guinea pig, Coach." Josh says to answer him. "Why? Pray tell?" Coach asks. 

"Every team has one coach. And we all want one." Josh lists our main reasons. Coach sighs, probably at his childish team, but shakes his head. "Not good enough reasons, Richards." he says. 

As if all hope was lost, the boys all sighed. I laughed at the thought that popped in my head, then decided to speak on it. It might work? I question in my head, and go on. "Well Coach, I guess you could say no, but The Don's have one, so I guess we aren't as good as they are." at my mention of the San Francisco Don's, Coach goes stiff. Whenever Coach was saying no, The Don's, our biggest competition, were brought into question, and yeah, it might be considered manipulation, but who cares. 

He let out a low groan, causing the boys to smile a bit in hope. "What was it, again?" he asks, in reconsideration. "A guinea pig, Coach." Blake replies and cheers are heard in the room. 

"That's a big responsibility," Coach says. The boys just nod. "One that will prepare us for the future, Coach." Kio adds and Coach curses under his breath. "Keep that smart mouth away, boy." he says and Kio grips out a 'yes sir' back to him. 

"How 'bout this. I give you something to test if you are capable to handle a life. If you are, I'll talk to the department to get some money for a pig. If not, well you know what happens then." he says and the boys nod, eagerly. 

With a hand on his chin, coach stays thinking, then finally speaks. "I will give you guys an avocado. Take care of it for a month. Feed it at right times, bath it, take it out on walks, make your lives depend on it's life. Then I'll give you your pig." he says. 

"Oh and don't get any ideas, I will damn well know if the avocado was changed." he adds on, strictly. "Yes Coach," is muttered by the whole team. 

"Well, I'm not going to give it to y'all now. Go off." he says and we all head out of the room. 

That was one problem I was freed off. Now one more. 

The blonde-headed she-devil herself, Lila Davis. 

♕♕♕

How did you guys like the chapter? Let me know by commenting!

Question of the day: favourite athlete?