Chapter 2: the contract

Bilbo POV

I felt all the dwarves looking at me. "W-what?" I asked. I looked down at Violet who looked at me with worry in her eyes. "Laddie, we have a contract, they you and Violet will need to sign." Balin said. I sighed. "May I read it?" I asked. Balin handed it to me. "Violet, there's tea in the kitchen if you would like some." I said, she nodded and scurried to the kitchen quickly. I looked at the contract and read it over. "Terms: Cash on delivery, up to but not exceeding one fourteenth of total profit, if any. Seems fair. "Eh, Present company shall not be liable for injuries inflicted by or sustained as a consequence thereof including but not limited to lacerations ... evisceration ... incineration?" I said, just as Violet came back into the room who had a frightened look in her eyes.

Thorin POV

I watched her stand by bilbo and read along with him. "Oh aye he'll melt the flesh off your bones in the blink of an eye." Bofur said as though it ment nothing. Violet glanced at him then back to the contract. I looked to Gandalf and leaned towards him, hoping the halflings wouldn't hear. " I cannot garentee their safety." I said. Gandalf nodded, "understood." He replied. I sighed looking at then, "nor can I be responsible for their fate." I finished. Gandalf nodded as Violet and Bilbo finished reading the contract. I watched Violet gently take the contract into her hands and lay it on the table. I watched as Violet took a deep breath before signing her name. "Wonderful, Mr. Baggins?" Balin asked. "I...I need some time to think." He said as we went off and sat in his arm chair. Violet was about to follow him before Gandalf stopped her. "Violet will you stay here for a moment? I wish to speak to Bilbo." She nodded and backed away. I watched her head for the door. "Where are you going?" I asked. "Clothes, supplies." She said quietly before leaving to her home.

Violet POV

'Why did I sign that...I could die...' I thought as I unlocked my door and began packing things for the trip. Mostly clothes, something to sleep on, a blanket and throwing some knives into my bag, of all variety. I then looked to my weapons, I grabbed my axe and sword and strapped them onto my back and set my bow and arrows on the chair as I pulled on my boots. "I signed it, I have to go through with it." I said as I washed my dinner bowl and out it away, seeing the house was clean I blew out the candela and grabbed my bow and arrows, once again locking my door and heading back to Bilbos house. I didn't bother knocking and just entered. Some of the dwarves looked at me wide eyes as I set down my weapons. I felt uncomfortable under their gaze and avoided looking at them. I saw Gandalf still speaking to Bilbo in the sitting area. I looked down the other hall and saw Thorin and Balin. I scooped up my courage and walked to them. "H-hello..." I said quietly. "Oh, your back." Thorin said in a kind tone. I nodded and turned pointing at my bag and weapons. Balin smiled, "may I go look at your weapons?" He asked. I nodded and he smiled and went off to inspect. "Where did you get them?" Thorin asked me. I thought for a moment. "I don't actually know...they where my dad's." I said, my spine shivering at the mention of my father. "Where is your father?" Thorin asked. "I don't know...Bree I think." I replied wrapping one arm across my stomach and biting my sleeve.

Thorin POV

"Well, it would seem that we lost our burglar." Balin said coming back, sitting on a wooden chest. "Probably for the best. The odds were always against us. After all, what are we? Merchants, miners, tinkers, toy-makers; hardly the stuff of legend." He said. Violet frowned and looked behind her. "There are a few warriors amongst us." I said. Balin laughed, "old worriers." He said. I placed a hand on Violets shoulder, "also new, Violet, Fili, and Kili. As for the old worriers. I will take each and every one of these dwarves over an army from the Iron Hills. For when I called upon them, they came. Loyalty. Honor. A willing heart. I can ask no more than that." I was focused souly on Balin. "You don't have to do this. You have a choice. You've done honorably by our people. You have built a new life for us in the Blue Mountains, a life of peace and plenty. A life that is worth more than all the gold in Erebor." He said. I grabbed the key that Gandalf had given to me earlier in the night. "From my grandfather to my father, this has come to me. They dreamt of the day when the dwarves of Erebor would reclaim their homeland. There is no choice, Balin. Not for me." I said. "Then we are with you laddie, we will see it done." Balin said.

Violet POV

I sat on the ledge by one of Bilbos windows looking out. "Hello!" I jumped from being startled by two dwarves. "H-hello" I said. "I'm Kili!" The brunette one said with a cheeky smile. "And Fili," the blonde one said. I nodded then looked back out of the window. "Pleasure..." I said quietly. "Are you alright?" Kili asked. I nodded. "Pardon me if I don't believe you, what's wrong?" Fili said sitting on the ground looking up at me. "I've never done this before..." I said. "What?" Kili asked. "Left the shire...I've never stepped foot out of it." I said. Fili and Kili looked at eachother. "There's nothing to be worried about, we will keep you safe, we promise." Kili said, Fili nodding. I felt my face heat up and looked away. "T-thank you..." I said. They bowed slightly and went off to join the others by the fireplace.

I sighed and laid my head against the window and closed my eyes, hearing the dwarves humming softly. I felt goosebumps on my arms as they started to sing, beginning with Thorin.

"Far over the misty mountains cold
To dungeons deep and caverns old
We must away ere break of day
To find our long-forgotten gold"

I had closed my eyes and felt my mind start to calm, as the rest joined in.

"The pines were roaring on the height
The winds were moaning in the night
The fire was red, it flaming spread
The trees like torches blazed with light"

'Maybe this journey will be good for me...helping them get their home back...' I thought as I fell into a peaceful sleep.