Chapter 13: Beorn part 1

Violet POV

Before we even knew it we where sprinting as fast as we could across the plain, following Gandalf. I was panting and my legs where starting to cramp and my lungs hurt. I however was running off the pure fear of the massive bear chasing us. I was however extremely surprised when Bombur went sprinting past all of us. "What the he-?" I breathed as I tried to keep up with him. We ran through a gate of a rather large yard and house and started ramming the door. "It won't open!" I said worried. All the dwarves started to ram it until Thorin came running and unhooked the lock sending us flying through. I was furthest away from the door and shrieked slightly when the bear tried to come through the door. I covered my mouth as they finally got the door shut and locked it. I then felt Thorin's hand on my shoulder and his concerned gaze on me. "Are you alright?" He asked. I nodded. Panting still and trying to catch my breath. "what is that?" Ori asked. We all looked at Gandalf, awaiting his answer. "That...is our host." He said. "Well...it doesn't seem like he wants us here." I said quietly, though the dwarves agreed. "His name is Beorn, he is a skin-changer." Gandalf said. "Oh, I've heard of those... They can form into animals can't they?" I asked. "Yes my dear Violet that is correct. Sometimes he's a huge black bear; sometimes he's a great strong man. The bear is unpredictable, but the man can be reasoned with. However, he is not overfond of dwarves." Gandalf said. I looked at Bilbo, who looked ever so slightly relieved that he wasn't a dwarf in this situation....I'd be lying if I said I wasn't as well. "He's leaving!" Ori said looking out the window, only to be pulled back by Dori. "Come away from there! It's not natural, none of it. It's obvious: he's under some dark spell." Dori said. "Don't be a fool; he's under no enchantment but his own. Alright now, get some sleep, all of you. You'll be safe here tonight." Gandalf huffed, the dwarves scattered however I stayed near Gandalf, he looked down at me with a slightly concerned expression, "I hope..." He muttered. I sighed, 'of course he says 'I hope' it's always a mild guess.' I thought to myself before walking off.

Beorn's house was nice, very large, but nice. I looked at various things around, climbing onto a chair was slightly difficult for me...but whatever. I looked up at the ceiling that had large wooden rafters holding the house in place. I noticed that they where plenty big enough to sleep on...and I would rather not sleep on the ground for once. I grabbed two of my daggers and walked over to the wooden pole connecting to the one I was trying to get to. I stabbed my dagger into the wall and started to walk myself up the wall. I looked down, I was halfway up the wall when I got Dwalins attention. "What are you doing Violet?!" He asked. Thorin looked up at me and got scared I was going to fall. "Violet! Come down here!" He yelled. Though I had already managed to get the rest of the way up and sat on the Wooden plank. "Nope, I already put to much effort into getting up here." I said with a slight smile. Thorin sighed and waved his hand. I giggled and leaned my back up against the wall, closing my eyes and drifting off.

I woke up with a shiver down my spine. I then realized I was absolutely freezing. I looked down and saw all the dwarves asleep, I also found Thorin, looking quite warm. '...maybe he won't care if I sleep by him...' I thought, I slid carefully back down the wall and tiptoed over to Thorin. I couldn't tell if he was asleep or in the limbo between sleep and awake. I layed down next to him and used part of his coat that he had taken off as a pillow. I was undeniably warmer next to him...all of the dwarves where like walking heat. It was awesome. I closed my eyes though not quite being able to sleep.

Thorin POV

I opened my eyes to see it was still dark out, though went I went to roll over on my side I almost squished Violet, who I was unaware was there. "Please don't crush me..." I heard her squeak. I turned and looked at her, she had a grin on his face. I couldn't help but smile at her cute little face. "Why are you down here?" I asked quietly, as the company was still sleeping. "It was cold up there..." She whispered. I smirked, "oh, but I thought you put to much energy into climbing up to come down?" I asked. She playfully smacked me, "what's part of 'it was cold' don't you understand?" She asked flashing me a smile. I shook my head and laid down on my back, throwing my arms under my head. I looked at the ceiling then felt Violet scoot closer to me. I glanced and saw her head right next to my chest. I moved one of my arms back and let her rest her head on it. I had my hand rest on her lower shoulder and patted her lightly. "Hm?" She sounded looking at me. "You know...I've wanted to tell you this for a while." I said. "What's that?" She asked. "I'm very proud of you...and I'm very happy you decided to join my company. Your defiantly one of the most impressive fighters I've seen, a-and I'm happy to have met you." I said. 'Why did I stutter?!?!' I yelled in my head. "Thank you Thorin...I'm happy to have met you too." Her soft voice said, I heard her squeak as she yawned and turned her back to me, though she pulled my arm and hugged it to her chest. "Goodnight~" she said. "Goodnight" I said back, before closing my eyes and falling asleep once again.

Beorn POV

I formed back into a man and panted. "Orcs. Disgusting." I said to myself as I walked back to my house. I closed the door behind me and looked around the corner to see dwarves asleep on the floor...great. I walked away into my bedroom and sat down on my bed. "Why would Gandalf bring them here..." I mumbled to myself. Suddenly I felt something tap on my leg. I looked down to see a...a girl, who looked half asleep. "Excuse me?" She said, deffinantly half asleep. "Yes? Can I help you?" I asked. "I hate to bother you...but do you have any water?" She asked rubbing her eyes and looking up at me, I could now see her bright beautiful eyes. "Um...yes...I do. Come with me." I said. I stood and started off. I glanced back and saw her running behind me trying to keep up. I slowed down a bit as I approached a jug I kept water in. I grabbed the smallest cup I had and filled it. I handed it down to her and she smiled and chugged it. 'Hm...she must be dehydrated.' I thought. "Do you want more?" I asked. She nodded and held her cup up, "yes please" she said. I refilled it and she drank it slower than before. "What is your name?" I asked. "Oh, it's Violet. Yours?" She asked. "Beorn, nice to meet you." I said. Violet held her hand out...I shook it and nodded. "Well, I'm going back to sleep. See you in the morning?" She said. I nodded, "see you in the morning, goodnight Violet." I watched her waddle back over and lay down next to a black haired dwarf who's face I could not see. 'Shes cute...why on earth would she travel with so many men?' I thought to myself before going back to my bedroom.