An Unexpected Turn Of Events

A/N: The sorting hat's "thoughts" are in bold, while the person who is getting sorted has their thoughts in italics.

...

September 1, 1977
10:54 a.m.

Craig Geyer watched a laughing redhead and a blonde run through a wall with two trunks that looked similar to his. Guessing correctly, he ran through the same wall with his aunt and landed into an entirely new world.

A steam engine whistled, signaling the five minute mark, which meant to Craig he had better hurry his ass up.

"I'm going to miss you. Be a good student," his aunt sounded between worried for him and worried for his peers.

"I always am," he replied, winked, and then headed off onto the train, which was a whole different story upon itself.

Kids were, simply put, everywhere. Once in awhile it looked as if older students with badges were trying to get them into their respective compartments, but the more mischievous kids just ran right back out.

He had trouble trying to navigate and finally found someone that looked nice enough. She was talking to a taller guy with scars slashed across his face and arms. He tapped her on the shoulder.

"Are there assigned compartments or am I supposed to just pick one?"

"Well, you really just take a seat anywhere there is one. I recommend staying away from the back of the train," Mary replied to the out of place looking teen.

"Thanks..." Craig said unsure of himself and walked down the compartment hallway.

"We're in the back of the train! And was that an American accent?" Remus asked continuing on their way to the prefect compartment.

"I was not letting Sirius meet him on what looks like his first day. It sure sounded like one. When I was in America with my grandparents and Julia, that's how everyone sounded. What do you do in a prefects' meeting?" She sounded nervous herself, jumping from topic to topic at rapid speed.

Mary had been appointed prefect, therefore taking Lily's empty spot and filling in the last space.

"You listen to the two heads, which this year are James and Lily," Remus snorted. "I give them at tops a month before they get together."

"They'll be together in around two weeks I assume."

They reached the prefect compartments and immediately started laughing at the sight before their eyes.

"Uh Prongs? Whatcha doing mate?" Remus finally said at a distressed looking James.

"Yeah, buddy you're supposed to be inside the compartment."

"No duh, Mary! I'm freaking out, Remus! You were supposed to get this fucking badge, not me!" James said at which Remus rolled his eyes.

"Shut up and get in the compartment!" Remus opened the door and shoved both James and Mary in before he went in himself.

Lily looked like she was about ready to throttle James.

"Deep breaths, Lily, don't kill James," Mary snickered and sat in a seat next to Remus. Lily muttered something inaudible.

"I give her two days tops before she actually kills him," Remus whispered to Mary before Lily began to speak.

"Thank you all for coming to the first prefect meeting! James is passing out the patrol schedules and if you've been in these seats before, you'll notice there are longer and more frequent patrol times!" Lily said, her nervousness not affecting her tone.