A Ball & A Break

**italics are letters/song/Peter's thoughts
...

In the past, Lily had never been very good at dealing with stress and working under pressure. She found it easier when she knew she had more time if she needed it, but that didn't work when the Holiday Ball was due to start in a few hours.

James, on the other hand, thrived under pressure. Essays, homework, and timed quidditch plays seemed to be his best work when he was overly stressed out about something. The rush of adrenaline right before he completed whatever it was gave him the thrill he yearned for.

It gave the impression, once again, that the two balanced each other out properly. They were like two opposite sides of a scale, she was left while he was right.

Lily admired the charm work that showed her adamant hard work in charms class had paid off. She was proud that she had something to show for the sleepless nights, study sessions, and constant overwhelming stress Hogwarts had given her over the years.

The enchanted ceiling had its usual magic shining brightly through the hall, but Lily added to it to make it look like snow was falling into the ground, where the "snowflakes" "melted."

James had taken on the task of arranging the tables, accompanied by the centerpieces the girls had worked on earlier that day.

He threw on either a white base table cloth first, followed by a light blue one as Doodledorf stressed the fact that not everyone celebrated Christmas. Therefore, it had to be winter-themed.

Fake ice sculptures that resembled one of the four houses stood at the center of each table just as Lily walked over to check on his progress.

"The snow was a great touch," he remarked as he shifted the placement of one of the sculptures.

If James was given the time, he could be quite the perfectionist. So, Lily watched and laughed as he inspected every singular sculpture.

"I owe it all to seven years of Charms class," her eyes sparkled with admiration for the boy in front of her.

Soon after, they were walking up to the Gryffindor tower, pride alight in their eyes, and love in their hearts. Stopping at the start of the staircases, they looked at each other for an uncomfortably nauseating amount of time until Lily arched her eyebrow at James and laughed.

"Fuck, I love you," James said impulsively like his true Marauder self.

Lily's eyes widened for a split second before it truly sunk in. The boy she had avoided for years on end while calling him multiple insults, had just told her that he loved her.

"And I love you," she responded her cheeks blushing a crimson red.

James let out a victory whoop and ran straight up to the boys' dormitory, she just laughed herself as she ran up the girls' staircase.

She entered the dorm immediately feeling a wave of nostalgia wash over her. Marlene narrowed her eyes at her friend as she went around the room humming a random song accompanied by a deep blush.

"Spill it, Evans!" Marlene said the anticipation near killing her.

"Hold it! I know that face anywhere! How did James make you swoon this time?" Mary asked joining in Marlene's interrogation.