XXXIV - The Den Invasion

On the next morning, it was a Saturday, and the portal was opened. Juan, Philip, Dante, Leonardo and the other monks were on the bridge in the garden. Upon their arrival, dozens of snakes approached, crawling across the lawn to welcome the visitors. Men and women dressed in black suits and sunglasses appeared. They encircled their enemies.

The wizard cast a ray of light on the snakes and they became the resident warlocks. Before the fight really started, they heard a voice.

"Wait a moment!" Someone shouted while leaving the castle's big gate.

It was the leader, the representation of evil, Klaus.

"There's something I'd like to show you, Juan. Three people want to see you."

"Tell me now what you plan to do, you viper of hell! I knew the serpents' boss would arrive at any moment."

"I have the Book of the Dead, which means that I can bring to life anyone I want. So, I decided to prepare a special surprise... See who I brought to life! Although I particularly think you don't deserve it." The warlock smiled sarcastically.

Gertrude, Heidi and Jordan came walking, hand in hand, from behind the castle. They were Juan's family. Silene escorted them. They were wearing the same clothes they had on hundreds of years ago when they lost their lives.

Juan fell on his knees the minute he saw his family. He couldn't believe his eyes. Nonetheless, he knew the warlock was capable of this. That power came from the book he had stolen. Philip approached him and put a hand on the sorcerer's shoulder in a sign of support. With teary eyes, he lifted his head to see before him the best of his life, which had been taken away so violently. Did Death give him back his beloved ones?

His children and wife wanted to run to him, but Robson, dressed in a suit, forbid them. First, he placed a sword in front of them, then, he positioned the blade against the girl's neck. Next, he returned to his most terrifying form, the hideous creature he had always been. Silene positioned herself next to Klaus.

"Don't you dare to move a finger, you dreadful monster, or I promise that I'll kill you," said Juan in a hoarse voice as he stood up in such a rage that it seemed that he had grown in the same proportion of his fury.

From over the horizon came a loud thunder. Everyone looked up to the sky. Gradually, dark gray clouds covered the celestial blue. Lightning bolted in the vastness, leaving everyone scared with such power. Deafening thunders echoed all around. Intermittent rays of light shone on the frightened faces. Was the mage the author of such tenebrous change of weather? Everyone thought so, and they were right. The wizard's rage empowered him exponentially. But that was exactly what Klaus wanted... To destabilize the young man's mentor by seeding hatred in the old man's soul, so that he would not be able to think clearly.

"Calm down, Juan! He's bluffing..."

"Move, wizard, and Fratello will end your family for good. I brought them back to you as a reward for you if you remain motionless during this battle. I know you swore to help the Ghost Boy, but will you miss this unique chance to have the ones you love back?"

"Please, Juan. Don't react. You may have a chance to live with your family again. The monks and I will take care of this worm and his followers."

The old man knelt again and looked down at the ground, static. It began to rain. The drops on Juan's face mixed with his salty tears. Would he have to remain still once again and see his family being killed in front him in the same way it had happened in the past?

He had to decide. But having the opportunity to recover his family only to lose it again was too much for him.

"Don't forget, son! Use the knowledge from the book that is part of you. Your power is greater than everyone else's here."