VII - A New Love

21ST Century

A woman entered in the precinct with a release order in her hand. The officer on duty took Philip to the commissioner's office.

"Thanks to the efficiency of your attorney, now you are a free man. You will wait for your trial out of custody. I can see that you're a good-natured person, so I hope that you don't break into any other museum from now on. Hopefully, I won't see you here again."

"Thank you, sir," the young man said, relieved and happy at the same time. Now he could see the sunlight once again.

The commissioner noticed Alexia's beautiful eyes and said, "Well, done, madam! You have done your job with incredible swiftness. I'm impressed."

"Thanks, commissioner! I've done nothing but my job as a defender."

Philip watched Alexia as she spoke with nobleness. He also admired the young lady, who was a perfect copy of Verena, the woman that he had loved in the past.

"Get your belongings, boy. And take care of yourself..." The commissioner said good-bye to Philip, who replied politely.

"Shall we go now? If you want, I can give you a lift. I've brought some spare clothes for you; they are my grandfather's. You should not walk around with those medieval things on you. You could change right now, before we leave."

"Thank you, Verena! I mean, Alexia... I'm sorry. You really look like someone that I knew in the past."

Philip accepted them and the lift, but he didn't know where he should go to change his clothes.

Finally, he went to the precinct's toilet and put the clothes on. They fit him well. After he showed up on his new apparel, Alexia looked at him from head to toe trying to recall if she had ever met him from somewhere other than her nightmares. However, it proved to be useless, since he lived only in her dreams, and not on her conscious mind.

She drove her car with white leather seats. She put an app to play calm songs, and then asked him, "Where to, Philip? May I call you Philip?"

"Of course, you can, madam. To be honest, I don't know where I should go now. I said I would explain everything to you... The truth is that I don't belong to this place or this time..."

"Oh, not again! Look, I've done my job. Now I have to leave you in some place."

"I read in one of those magazines that you gave me that there are some good places where one can lodge. Could you please take me to one of those places, madam?"

"Please, you don't have to call me 'madam' all the time. Just call me Alexia. You make me feel like an old lady every time you call me 'madam'."

"Ms. Alexia, then."

"Better yet, just Alexia."

"Alright! If that suits you..."

"I can leave you in a place nearby. Do you have any money? No offense, but since you keep on saying that you don't belong here, I thought that may be not financially savvy."

"None taken. During the time in jail, I read a lot about your culture and behavior. I always bring with me a sack of gold coins. I believe gold is good at any time, right?"

The prince showed the coins that he had retrieved from Houdini's pocket with his magical powers. While she was driving, she gave them a transverse look, with curiosity.

"Let's have some coffee and have a chat, ok?"

They stopped by a square. Alexia parked the car, and then they entered a cafe.