VIII - The Black Death

For many years, Philip's nemesis, the warlock of darkness, had been feeding his anger, thus becoming more powerful than ever. He constantly drained the energy of those he destroyed through the years. As an immortal, he not only followed his ambition, but he also knew that at some point in the future he would end up meeting Philip again. Each step taken in the past would lead him toward the young man's present time. Klaus' quest could last for all eternity, but he didn't care. He would keep on pursuing his purpose. Meanwhile, he participated actively in some of the most important moments in Humankind's history, frequently influencing rulers, but always bearing in mind his own agenda.

The evilness in his deceiving eyes and the bitter scent of death that emanated from his pores left a trail of screams and fear in all of those that he met along his way. The salty flavor of his victims' tears and the cries of those who sampled his anger became the fruits of a frightful tree with roots that grew deeper and deeper throughout the centuries.

Nevertheless, in the Basnet castle, a weird time was coming. Klaus started to search information about mages not only from Europe, but also from the New World that had been found out thanks to the overseas explorations.

Despite the exciting times, everything seemed to be too quiet. Klaus had had no news of his main target, Prince Philip, for a long time. For this reason, he concentrated his anger on the inquisitors.

There was a bunch of them that Klaus still had to wipe out from the world if he wanted to satisfy his lust for revenge. The Protestant Reformation was teasing the Inquisitor's anger, and now they had another reason to hunt heretics.

"I believe it's about time that we kill my parents' murderers, Fratello. They've gotten weakened by the great number of abuses that they performed against the monarchs in many countries. Now the kings are adhering to Protestantism, and the Church is receiving a great blow because of that. It's our chance to act, brother!"

"What's the plan?" The Doppelgänger asked, in his bloodlust.

Once Klaus finished explaining the actions to be taken, they both prepared themselves to invade the Inquisitors' headquarters in Rome. Due to the Great Mother Church's slaughter operations, Klaus was sure that it would gradually lose power to the point that it would no longer bear any influence over any government. It would leave an empty space that Klaus was looking forward to occupy.

It was a time of festivities in the city. Everyone was dancing on the streets with a mask on their faces. A huge castle billeted the main Chief Inquisitors. Klaus gave some orders to Fratello. Only someone without a human body would be able to execute the task he ordered the creature to do.

During the evenings, the monster dragged the bodies of those he had murdered in the alleys of Rome. People stood off, repelled by the corpses' stench. Humans thought that the Doppelgänger was wearing a costume due to the festive occasion. It rained. And that thing that looked like a hooded tall man with his face hidden carried on the hideous job.

Four Italian soldiers dared to circle him in one of the alleys when the thing was pushing two corpses full of pustules.

"Hey, you! Whoever you are, show your face and tell us where you're taking those people to. Are they dead?" Asked one of the soldiers, full of curiosity and with eyes wide opened, while the others unsheathed their swords.

The Doppelgänger turned to see who had arrived. He dropped the corpse covered in pustules, and with red eyes glittering in the darkness of the rainy night, he slowly walked toward the soldiers.

"Halt! We belong to the royal guard!"

"Die, bastard humans!" He spoke with a deep dark threatening voice.