XXIX - The New Plan

"Tell me, master, what do you intend to do from now on?" Silene asked Klaus in his office. On that day, she wore a blouse that showed her provocative neckline and a pair of jeans. She looked at him in a different way.

"I think I can tell you."

Robson Nortybryen, the company's chief executive, asked for permission to enter Klaus' office, and he let him.

"I'll tell you what I'm going to do to put an end to that old wizard and his magic apprentice once and for all."

"But, master, I thought this was a secret. Will you allow Robson to listen to our conversation?"

At that moment, the executive turned into his real form.

"I thought you knew Fratello better. After all, it seems to me that you are very close."

The creature showed his pointed teeth and looked at Silene desirous for having her again in its arms.

"I don't understand what you mean by that, Master Klaus."

The warlock looked at Fratello and then turned to her.

"I think we'd better forget about this and focus on what really matters now. I've read the Book of the Dead entirely and learned to conjure portals with passages between the worlds. Here's what I intend to do... I'll bring back hundreds of dead warlocks from the other side and grant them the magical powers that I've taken away from them. They'll be very pleased to have a second chance, and I'll show them that I'm Klaus, the owner of the world.

"Don't you think you run the risk of bringing a rebellion upon you? There'll be many of them..."

"I have the power to send them back if they betray me. I'll also be the richest man in this world. Power and money... I'll make sure my servants have everything they may need. Of course, provided that they serve me with loyalty."

"The wizard Juan is considerably powerful, and also immortal. Don't you think he may be a stone on your way?"

Klaus laughed, and so did Robson, who had returned to his human form, shortly after he had showed his true self.

"We'll finish them off. Call out all the warlocks that are already here. Tonight, I'll conjure the portal for everyone to cross to this world. I'll be the ruler of both worlds, the living's and the dead's. I'll be the most powerful man on the face of the Earth and destroy all of those who oppose me."

They smiled as they looked at each other.

"What are you waiting for, Silene? Do as I say."

"I thought you would treat me kindlier after what happened between us."

"I don't have time for conversations now, witch. Obey me, and you shall be well rewarded."

The woman left the office frustrated. She thought she'd have the affection of the ruler of the Absents.

When she left, Klaus turned to Robson:

"Silene liked you, but this is between the two of you. You'll have to solve it later. First, let's get ready for tonight."

The warlock ran his fingers over the air and disappeared, followed by his monster. They headed for the mansion, for they would have a long night.

_____________________________