III - Inquiry

At the precinct, the conversation between Alexia and Phillip continued, although they were having intriguing thoughts. Both the lawyer and the defendant were amazed by such coincidence. They kept clear of the subject, preferring to wait for the development of the facts. Maybe some revelation would come about, and things of the past could be finally elucidated.

"Early tomorrow, I'll file an application to the judge asking to release you. We have in our favor the fact that there is no evidence of breaking and entering, or burglary. It seems that the police officers had mentioned in the report that you had a sword in your possession, but since the object unexpectedly vanished in the air, the inspector chose to take it out from the records. He doesn't know how to explain that an object under his custody simply disappeared."

"I'm not sure I understand everything you are saying, but I would appreciate if you could get me out of here. Definitely, here's not the best place to be in this world."

"I understand you perfectly, Phillip. That's your name, right?"

She read the document she had in her hands with curiosity, trying to remember where she knew him from.

"Phillip Honnusberg, son of Albert I, King of Germania."

"Excuse me, what have you just said? I don't get it... If it's some kind of joke, you'd better cut it out. Considering the nature of your situation here, it's not the time or place for kidding."

"I beg your pardon! You can just call me Phillip."

"If you stick to that story that you are an heir prince of a medieval king, I'll have a hard time working to get you out of here, unless I claim insanity. In this case, the judge may send you to a psychiatric ward."

They both smiled at the comic situation that that would be.

The young man calmed down as soon as he realized the foolish thing he was about to do. Considering that he had been sent half a millennium ahead in the future, things were undoubtedly quite different... Who would know his father?

"If everything goes according to the plan, I'll see you tomorrow to get you your freedom."

During the conversation, she could not avoid noticing the kind of clothes Phillip was wearing when he got arrested.

"You may ask. You won't be the first," he said, as he noticed the curiosity in her eyes.

"Did you steal those clothes from some museum collection? I have to know, since it would be evidence against you."

"Those clothes are not part of any collection. They are mine and came with me. After you get me out of here, I'll explain to you everything. I suppose you wouldn't understand much right now."

She arched an eyebrow and said: "All right, then. Despite this detail, I guess I can get you out of here. I think you are somewhat loony, anyway. It may work in your defense."

"It can't be! She sounds exactly like Verena. It's so weird," he thought, amazed.

Phillip had handed his clothes and belongings, the wristband, and the talisman that his mother, Mariele, had given him, to the police. He was wearing an arrestee uniform, like the other prisoners. When Phillip and Alexia were saying goodbye to each other, their eyes locked, and expressed a mix of admiration and curiosity about what that interesting meeting would mean to their lives from that moment on.

On that night, when Phillip laid on his bed, he used his magic by passing his hands on the wall to see what life was like out there. He could see a few people going to pubs at night, the city's architecture, and the clothes in fashion. He saw people communicating through smartphones, giant advertising panels on building's walls, cars, and motorbikes.

Everything was so different... Ignoring the name of those machines and strange buildings, Philip felt like a fish out of water.

Living in that world, he realized that he had become distinct from everything and everyone. He felt stronger, too, for the magic he had learned from Juan made him more powerful. After all, the master wizard was one of the most prestigious that had ever lived on Earth. One of his attributes was the skill to absorb the energy of magical beings, if so, he wanted.

Philip knew perfectly that he could escape the place by simply snapping his fingers. But he chose to act like an ordinary human. And the main reason for that was that he was anxious to meet again the woman that resembled so much the love of his life.

His jailmates looked at him from afar. After they had seen what Phillip had done to the bald fellow, they feared what the newbie could be able to do with them as well. It was better this way... They let he be on his own, and Philip used the peace to get some sleep. However, he totally ignored that his problems were just beginning...

__________________________________

Read #TheDeathMoon by #ChaieneSantos