XXI - The Ambush

In the alley, the Phantom Man struggled to escape. The bunch of Basnet warlocks were using all kinds of magical weapons to defeat Philip. They chained and locked his body. They wanted to secure that Philip's fate was sealed in steel. A black, slimy mud was almost reaching his neck. The warlocks just watched his end, ready to give him the final blow if necessary. Silene did not want to wait, though. She shifted into a venomous viper. She began to crawl, and she was followed by Maurizio. They both wanted to give Philip the fatal bite.

Meanwhile, shadows rose from the ground and materialized into human beings. They were more Basnet warlocks sent by Klaus to work in his diabolic plan.

Philip tried to draw the sword, but the sticky mud made it hard. What spell could he use to save himself? He tried to remember a relevant one, perhaps something to create a portal through which he could be able escape. However, his mind was too focused on the dangerous situation he had to face at that moment.

"I should have heard Juan's words. Had I perfected my magical skills and accepted the training offered by the monks; I would not be in this disastrous situation now. I think my end lies in the hands of these infamous warlocks. I don't know what will become of this world when Klaus finally rules it... What will become of Alexia?"

Philip's hands were totally paralyzed. He was holding the sword in vain. The mud was almost reaching his mouth. A strong feeling of inertia was growing within himself. He had been totally taken by fear, so he could not reason. The sight of a pair of snakes made him feel even worse. He had detested those creatures since he was a boy. And they were getting closer and closer to him.

Out of the blue, he heard a howl. It momentarily broke the silence of the night. At the entrance to the alley, a white-haired creature positioned itself aiming to call everyone's attention. The young wizard immediately remembered the dream he had had the other night. The enemies as well as the snakes turned to see what was going on. The albino wolf began to change its form. After a while, it was possible to see that the creature had turned into Jonathan, Alexia's grandfather. He was there to save his friend's life.

"I command you to get away now, creatures of the night!" Jonathan shouted energetically.

"Who are you to give us orders, old man?" Silene retrieved to her human form, and so did Maurizio.

She was a strong woman, while Maurizio was a tall man with furrowed eyebrows, which gave him a mean look.

"I am Juan Otts, the one who will send you straight to the pit where you came from."

This revelation caused an immediate uproar, followed by horror. Juan was a legend. This revelation took Philip by surprise. Jonathan was Juan, and now he was assuming his real look, the one of an old man with white hair and beard. This was the way that Philip remembered him.

The revelation distracted the enemies for some minutes. Philip used the opportunity to gather his forces to melt the chains using heat magic. He could finally concentrate. His eyes flashed. He saw many spirits before him. The steel became incandescent. The links broke. He immediately thought of Houdini, the magician who mastered the escaping art. Philip was free from the chains that imprisoned him. Freedom was just a heartbeat away.

"Drop the sword, Philip!" Juan shouted as he raised his hands.

"Why?"

"There is no time for explanations. Do as I say."

Philip opened his hand and the sword flew right to the Juan's hands. The wizard positioned for attack. He bent his knees and put the left hand in front of him. He was getting prepared the soak Night's Fury in blood.

Silene, seeing the senile-looking man, laughed. Her accomplices did the same.

"Get rid of this old wizard!" She shouted.