XIX - The Monks' Descendants

Philip's life kept on being as business as usual. One day, when he was teaching a group of tour guides who were on a scheduled trip to Germany, someone called him at the door.

"Philip, there are two men here who want to talk to you. Can you see them?" The travel agency's owner asked him.

"Ms. Francesca, do you know what are they here for? Is it an emergency?"

"They didn't say anything. But they look like Buddhist monks. Are they your friends? Are you a Buddhist?"

"No, I'm not a Buddhist. How odd! I'll talk to them now... Would you excuse me for a moment?" he asked the students and then got up and went to the lobby where two visitors waited for him.

"Gentlemen, how can I help you?

"Are you Mr. Philip?"

"Yes, I am."

"As you can see, we are monks and we need to speak to you urgently."

"Please, call me Philip. I am as young as you," said Philip, as he noticed that the visitors' age was about 25 years old. "I'm sure that the issue you have to discuss with me is of great importance. However, would you mind waiting until I finish my class? It'll take only twenty minutes. After that, I'll be all yours."

"No problem. We can wait for you. Patience is not an issue for us. The subject we've come to discuss with you requires a long time, anyway," said the tallest monk.

Philip went back to the classroom. He was curious to know what it was all about. But before that, he had to teach German to his students.

The class finished a few minutes later. He said goodbye to the students, as he always did. As soon as he opened the door that went to the lobby, he met the two monks again.

"How about going to a cafe? There's a nice one just around the corner."

The monks nodded and then followed him. As they crossed a square, the Buddhists discreetly signaled to a disguised pair that was on watch.

"Do they serve tea here?" Asked Leonardo, one of the monks, as soon as they entered the café.

"Sure."

Philip ordered a coffee for himself and two cups of tea to the monks.

"So, gentlemen, can you tell me now what is it that you need to talk to me so urgently? If you don't mind, I'm curious to know what your religion has to do with it."

"We belong to a different lineage of monks. We are specially trained throughout generations and then assigned to carry out missions that aim to protect humanity. It turns out that a long time ago, a book that was under our protection was stolen from our temple. This book can be very dangerous if it falls into the wrong hands," Leonardo revealed.

"What book are you talking about? I'm getting more curious..." Philip asked. The mention of a special book immediately reminded him of the power contained in the Book of Souls, which had become part of him.

Philip was afraid that what the monks wanted from him was something that he wouldn't be able to provide. Philip and the Book of Souls had merged into one being. Their visit had something to do with the fact that he was the Phantom Man?

"It's not what you are thinking," Dante answered his question, anticipating what the young man was in fact thinking.

"How do you know what's going on in my head?"

"We know that you are the Phantom Man and that there is great power within you," Dante explained. "We were chosen for this job because we have reached a spiritual level advanced up to the point that it matches your spirituality."