IV - Witch Hunt

Klaus was firmly set in his purpose of finding Philip who was son of Agathor Reinecker, King of the Wizards. Until they met again, the warlock searched for other magical beings to drain their energy. Since Luca, his servant, had passed a long time ago, Klaus hired other servants to work in the castle. He witnessed they all die, generation after generation.

One day, interesting news came to Klaus. A Muslim wizard who was the right-hand man of the Ottoman Empire's chief, was having a decisive participation in the conquering of many territories and cities. Emperor Saluffar's target was the city of Vienna, which was besieged according to the instructions of his personal advisor. The strategy was simple: by invading Austria, Saluffar would have an opened door to the rest of Europe. After he had won the Venetian navy, that was trying to invade Constantinople, Saluffar felt that he was already sufficiently strong to attack Europe.

"Fratello, it's time to work. I have to get rid of that powerful wizard that is the king's advisor."

"Your desire is my path, master," the monster answered with a hideous voice as he showed his pointed teeth, something that resembled a smile.

In the main hall, the warlock consulted his crystal pyramid. He passed his right hand over the black object, and instantly it had a kind of dark cloud inside, as if it was a warning of an approaching storm. Klaus saw the enemy's exact position. He considered his target's feature. Then, he looked at his cursed copy and passed his hand through the air. Klaus opened a portal through which they both entered, going straight to Vienna. The siege had been lasting for quite a long time. Osman, the wizard, stayed in a tent far from the emperor's. From that point, he was able to observe the camping organization, and ordered his six hawks to fly over the region in order to bring him information about the enemy's line.

While the head of government slept, Klaus passed his hand over himself and became invisible. From outside, accompanied by his repulsive creature, he stared at the Moon. He was detailing the invaders' tactics, which summed down to killing the Austrians by preventing the city from receiving water and food supplies.

Nevertheless, Klaus discovered something far more interesting than men set on to fight. Osman Tabor never left his wife alone, for he was a very jealous man. Klaus saw her fixing herself up inside the tent while her husband was away in conversations with his boss to prepare the final slaughter.

The Muslim wizard did not fear external menaces for the flying animals were his sentinels.

"No soul shall be left alive in Vienna. The Austrians shall perish, and we'll have the perfect opened door to the rest of Europe. The siege must be kept until they die from starvation. Find out where the water comes from, and then we'll cut its flow to Vienna completely," Saluffar ordered his commandant, and then looked at Osman, "As to you, I want you to use your magical power to see the future. I need to know what the odds are for me to win this battle. It won't take long until the Austrians get furious and decide to strike back."

"As you wish, great emperor. I shall prepare a clairvoyance enchantment, so that I'll always be by your side to witness your victories until the day you become the sole ruler in this world."

They toasted with wine, and laughed as they thought about the coming victory that would be achieved by cutting the supplies to the city. They promised no one would be left alive. They would depart to other countries to increase their influence over the best and the biggest markets of the world. The city citizens were in great suffering. They had been in siege for a few weeks now. Children were starving, and merchants were either prevented to enter the city, or killed, while their goods were consumed by the besiegers.

Next to them, a black horse was close to the tent. The guards approached as soon as they spotted the animal. After all, it should be in the stables.

"What is this horse doing here?"