V - Contact

At night, in the cell, Philip spent some time reading some of the books and magazines that Alexia had given him. He flipped the pages, avid to learn all the secrets of that new world. One of his cellmates, also sleepless, observed Philip's movements with curiosity. At some point, he decided to talk to Philip.

"You've been reading for hours those books and magazines. Have you really learned anything?"

"Feel free to ask me anything," the young man answered with a smile, trying to be nice.

"Reading is not for me. I'd rather spend time waiting. You see, I have to be patient. I'm sure I will be sentenced many years in jail."

"I guess that reading, or even learning a new trade, will be really good for you, Paolo. Good behavior, working and reading may reduce your sentence. I've just learned that in one of these books."

"Sounds great! I will take your advice. Hey, mind if I borrow one of the books you have?"

"What do you want to read?"

"Give me something about training new skills... Who knows, maybe you are right, and if I learn a new profession, I'll be able to help my family when I get out of here!"

The young wizard snapped his fingers and a carpentry training manual popped right in front of him. He gave the book to Paolo.

"Thanks, Philip. Can I call you Philip?

"That's okay. Enjoy your book, and remember: no one will deny you a book. Reading and working are the best ways to assist your family."

"Thank you, buddy. I'll get some sleep now. You should do it, too. Otherwise, you'll get eye problems if you keep on reading in the diming light from the hall."

"I'll do it soon."

As everyone slept, even the jailer, Philip's eyes began to change. Once again, they became reddish. Soon, he felt a presence inside the cell, hidden in the shadows. A boy about twelve years old wearing jeans and shirt came near to Philip.

Already used to seeing spirits, and knowing that he was the only one still awaken, Philip asked the boy: "What's up, boy? Are you lost?"

"Are you the Phantom Man?"

"I am. How do you know that?"

"In the place that I come from, everyone says that you help people to solve those earth problems that don't allow them to go. I can't stand being here without my dad any longer. My mom lives with my sister, and my grandparents want me to join them in the other side."

"Then, why don't you go with them? They will surely take good care of you. They know what is best for you, and they love you."

"I've got to talk to my dad. I know that he is carrying a lot of guilt for my death. When the police came, our car was attacked and I was shot many times. They tried to take me to a hospital while they took my father to prison. Didn't work. I lost too much blood and now I'm here, as you can see."

"What's your name?"

"Pedro."

"Who is your father?"

The boy gently pointed his finger towards one of the beds.

"Please, touch him, so that I can tell it's really him."

The spirit overflew the prisoners, until he came near to the one with tattooed arms. The man moved his body a little, and then murmured some words as if he was having a dream.

"Geovani is my father. I love him so much!"

"Don't worry, Pedro. Tomorrow I'll talk to him and tell him what you said. Go in peace to your grandparents," Philip paused for a moment. Suddenly, he had an idea. "Wait, I have a suggestion. Why don't you personally talk to your father about your feelings?"