XXXV - The Last Battle

The creature stood in front of the legion that had taken by storm every space at the front of the castle. Philip was standing by the bridge. At realizing the great disproportion of the number of fighters on his side, he addressed his rivals:

"Basnet wizards, everyone who truly belongs to the world of magic knows that our ancestors were the first magical beings to live on Earth. Thanks to their wisdom, many became advisers of great kings. At this moment, I urge everyone to rebel against your leader. He's nothing but a shame to our people, a traitor who infiltrated himself among you just to bring death by poisoning, traps, deception and treachery. It's time for you to stand up and honor yourselves, even in death."

They all stood still listening to the speech. The monks looked at each other as they tried to understand the strategy behind the Phantom Man's words.

"He's promised us eternal life!" Shouted one of them.

"We'll be wealthy and powerful," another one manifested, full of faith.

The Doppelgänger narrowed its eyes as it watched greed overcoming wisdom.

"If that's what you want, that's exactly what you'll get. You'll all return to your tombs in dishonor, carrying in your hearts the poison of false promises said by that infamous and immoral warlock whose only legacy is a trail of deaths and betrayals across the centuries."

As soon as Philip said his final words, Klaus' hordes began to run towards him and his friends. Juan was trying to recover from the previous fight when Silene appeared and put her pistol on his head, but the Phantom Man appeared behind her and stuck his sword in her back, hitting her heart. She began to squirm while the wizards kept on fighting the monks.

The beast saw when the woman who had sworn her love to it succumbed before the young man. He left his place of command to help her, but it was too late already.

"Silene, no!" It shouted in a sinister and sad voice as he held the woman in its arms. "Master, please help me bring Silene back to life. I promise I'll do anything you ask me to."

"Dumb creature, can't you see that I have important troubles to solve? You should be the one helping me destroy my enemies. I shall see what I can do for you when we're done here."

"I'm tired of your promises... I'm not helping you anymore," it approached the place where its lover had died and ignored everything around it.

"I don't really need you, idiot Fratello. I can always create another copy of myself and delete you from this world."

The monster, who seemed like it had developed feelings, came to his senses, and looked at his master, who was simply ignoring him. It was kneeling in the place where she had died. It saw her ashes being blown away by the wind that filled the spaces in the battlefield. Its insides were feeling a deep grudge against Klaus for not helping him now he needed the most. He was only interested in using it to do the dirty job. It also nurtured anger for the young mage who had killed the love of its life.

The monks were losing the battle. Philip found himself surrounded by Klaus, the enraged monster who wanted revenge, and countless warlocks. Juan had gotten weary. His eyes felt the weight of ages of disillusionment for having lost what he had never actually gotten back.

The evil warlock created a whip of fire with which he fastened the young man while Fratello took his attention on the other side. He was pulled to the ground with the attack, letting his sword fall. Klaus took advantage of Juan's moment of weakness and cast a spell that made a vine stretch from a nearby tree and fasten the wizard's arms and hands against his body.

Meanwhile, the Basnet warlocks tied the hands and feet of the remaining monks, preventing them from reacting.

Before being totally tied up by the fire whip, Philip cast a spell. He stretched his right arm and, in deep concentration, conjured a final portal. It was the last hope for humanity. It seemed to him that someone was shouting words in German from the other side. Those words said to open the portal for the defenders of justice.