24

Gabriella's POV:

That night, Zane, Penny, Zachary, and I sat around a fire together while the others and the refugees enjoyed their dinner together. From just speaking with Penny for a few hours, we already learned that when she was exiled, she made it her goal to make sure any escaped citizens to have a safe-haven. She built up a camp in the ruins of Falconclaw by her new "home", made sure they had the resources to support themselves, and raised a child on top of all of that.

"I knew you were going to fix everything eventually,", Penny admitted, looking at me with a smile, "but I knew if you were anything like your father, it would take a while." 

I giggled and placed my now empty plate on the ground. Zane was just sitting there silently, just taking in the moment. I was happy that they were finally all united. Zachary was also probably the sweetest kid I've ever met. He was so excited to finally meet his Dad and you could tell there was an instant bond.  

"Mommy? Can I go inside to get something to show Daddy?", He asked in his tiny voice. 

"Sure honey,", Penny said, taking his plate for him. He ran off soon after and we laughed as he struggled to push open the door. Unfortunately, I noticed that Penny's smile formed into a frown. Zane glanced over and saw it as well. He wrapped an arm around her shoulders and asked; "What's wrong?" 

"I need to tell you both something...something Zachary can't know yet,", Penny sighed, placing down the two plates next to mine. She seemed terrified to say but, she took a deep breath and said; "He has a part of Garroth's relic. When he was born...there was a blue flash and a piece of it appeared above him. I don't know why it was just one piece though..." 

Zane and I went wide eyed. It wasn't completely unbelievable since he was a Ro'Meave but...why just one piece? If he had a strong enough bond, wouldn't it just form back together? 

"Dad broke it apart during battle against Irene...that's what she's looking for,", I explained. "She needs all the pieces to stay alive..." 

That seemed to make Penny even more uncomfortable. I don't blame her for it. If Irene knew he had a piece, I can't imagine what she would do to him. It made me shiver at the thought. 

"We'll keep him safe...I promise,", Zane whispered to her comfortingly, kissing her cheek while letting her rest her head on his shoulder. 

"If she puts a hand on him...", Penny trailed off, staring into the fire. 

"Look at this Daddy and Ella!", Zachary exclaimed running up to us. He was holding up a little wooden car. All our faces brighten up, trying to make sure he didn't notice the serious situation. 

I bit my lip, debating on whether I should tell them about the letters I found at home in Dad's stuff. I didn't want to ruin the moment...depending on what he wrote I guess. Yet, a part of me felt like if I didn't do it now, I'd be letting him down.

"Cool toy dude!", Dylan chuckled, coming up to us with a drink in hand. Degory was next to him, making sure he didn't do anything rash I guess. "Who made that for you?" 

"Miss Hailey!", He said, pointing to the small looking elderly woman that I had met before. "She makes toys for all the kids here!" 

"That's nice of her,", Zane smiled, putting him in his lap. 

"She does a lot of things like that,", Penny smirked. "A lot of the people here support each other. Making sure they keep a smile on their face."

"Well, I'm glad you were here to guide them Penny,", Degory said, placing a hand on her shoulder. "This place is amazing. I never would've been able to do this."