11

Gabriella's POV:

I woke up to the sound of distant shouting...I bolted up and listened carefully. It didn't sound too far away and I worried that some traveler was injured in some way. I remembered though what Mary said. Maybe it was the threat that she was concerned about. On either side of me, Grey and Dylan were sound asleep. Once their was another shout, Dylan turned a bit before mumbling;

"What's that?"

"I don't know,", I answered. "Maybe we should check."

"Why? Im sure they're fine..."

I glared at him and he sighed before saying; "Sure Ella. Let's go check out where the scary shouting is coming from without any assistance."

"Who said we aren't getting assistance?"

I got out of our tent, with Dylan following close behind, leaving Grey alone. I grabbed my sword from the side of the tent and I noticed another person come out from their's as well. It was Mary and she looked guilty of something. I went up to her and asked;

"What's wrong?"

"I worry that my spell was too strong. The intruder should've only been shaken up a bit but their shouts...it sends chills up my spine." I agreed. It sounded like they saw their worst nightmare. "I suggest we check it out,", Mary added. "The last thing we need is some person going mentally insane in our forest."

"That's dark,", Dylan remarked, crossing his arms.

"Trust me...it's happened before,", Mary said grimly.

Mary led me to the edge to the forest with Dylan asking behind us; "What do you mean by 'it's happened before'?"

She didn't respond and guided us into the dense crowding of trees. We all were armed, just in case and it was amazing to see Mary easily find her way through the forest. The shouting seemed to stop which led her to just use her ability to sense their presence. Dylan constantly looked over his shoulder, a little uncomfortable with his surroundings. I wouldn't be shocked though. This was technically his prison for the past five years. He probably never wanted to be here again.

"Ella...Didn't that shout sound familiar?", He asked me quietly. I didn't want to say yes but, I knew there was some truth to his observation. I just nodded my head and stuck closely to Mary. She was our best bet of staying safe in here.

We soon reached a clearing and everything seemed normal. Except the man laying on the ground, knees to his chest, shaking. We all looked at each other and wondered what to do. I told the two to stay behind me, even though Dylan was against the idea but, I insisted. My sword in hand, I slowly approached the shaking man.

"S-Sir...?", I asked with a shaking voice. "Is everything alright?"

At the sound of my voice, the man immediately sat up and I froze once I saw who he was. It was Zane...an exhausted, older Zane. His hair was slightly greying and his cheeks were slightly hallow. His skin was a deadly shade of white and limbs just seemed to barely keep him up. His reaction to me was different from the rest. He looked petrified at the sight of me.

"Stay back,", He said, getting to his feet. "I can't stand any more illusions."

"Zane what are you talking about, it's me!", I tried to assure him, throwing me sword to the ground. "Dylan is here as well! We can-"

"N-No. I don't believe that!", He said. "You're supposed be dead and I haven't seen Dylan in years. Garroth already showed up...I can't deal with this!"

"D-Dad?", I asked, shocked. I knew Zane was in a moment of delusion and hysteria but, a little excitement came to my mind, to only have it torn down immediately by Zane saying; "Blood was all over him...and he didn't say anything...nothing..."

"Zane, bud, it was just nightmare,", Dylan said, going to his friend and placing a hand on him.

"Dylan..?", Zane asked. To which Dylan nodded his head.

"Just breath Zane,", I say, calmly, walking to him as well. "We'll explain everything if you just calm yourself."

Zane steadied his breathing but, his limbs still shook. He said; "You look older Ella...you promise me you're real?"

I took his hand and placed it on my chest while smiling up at him. "Yes Uncle Zane...it's me."

I think something clicked in his mind. He looked at the both of us before turning his attention fully to me. He cupped his hands on my face and tears came to his eyes. "Ella..." He looked at me intently, as if taking in every detail. "You look so grown up..."

The phrase melted my heart, knowing that I did grow a bit but, I didn't know it was noticeable. I hugged him tightly and said; "I missed you..."

He wrapped his arms around me and started to sob softly again. "I missed you too."

Word Count
835