23

Nathan's POV:

I stormed into my tent that I used to say with Quill. I can't believe Gabriella just left him there...

"Nate?"

I look back to see Mary enter the tent, frowning deeply. I love my sister, don't get me wrong but I don't feel like comforting her either right now. I'm upset myself and I can't really cheer someone up if I am.

"Mary, I'm sorry that I left Quill-"

"No, it's not about that,", She said. "Quill will be fine. You know that."

I was shocked that she didn't seem fazed by the fact that our brother is captured by a literal psychopath. She seemed to noticed this and said; "Irene wouldn't hurt him. She's not an idiot."

"But-"

"Nathan, Gabriella would never leave Quill if she knew that he was in danger. She cares about you two too much to do that."

I crossed my arms and looked down, not really wanting to discuss it further. Mary said one more thing though; "I'm worried too but, we have to be here for Gabbie."

I remained silent, still not looking at her. She sighed and left the tent. Trust me. I felt bad but, I needed a break.

•••

Gabriella's POV:

The next morning, the group and I gather our things. Well...except Nathan and Mary. Mary told me that Nathan most likely just needs to step back for a bit. Besides, in case Quill got out on his own, they'll need to be here to make sure he's okay. I was still disappointed though that they weren't joining me...especially Nate. I wrapped my arms around Mary as a goodbye. She smiled up at me and said; "He'll be fine. He's just worried."

I nodded, smiling back. "Be safe Mary. Please."

"I will,", She assures me, hugging me again. When we parted, I joined the group again, allowing Zane to lead the way to where Penny was. Grey, Naya, and Ember walked besides me while Degory and Dylan helped my Uncle with the map.

"I'm sorry about your friend Gabbie,", Naya said, placing a hand on my shoulder. "From what I've heard, Quill seemed to be a good guy."

"He is,", I say, coming out harsher than it needed to.

The three of them went quiet for a moment before Grey said; "When we get Penny back, we'll head straight to Ru'an to get Quill. I'm sure Irene wouldn't hurt him."

I didn't say anything. Just smiled at them as a thank you. I looked forward to see the other three debating on which turn to take next.

"You know Ella...the people of Ru'an trust you,", Ember said. "You may have never led them but, they know who you are. We trust you. Whatever happened back there, we knew you had the best intentions."

The image of my father flashed in front of me. I let him die...again. Part of me wonders if he could've came back. If Esmund would let him be in control and I could see him for more than five seconds. But, that image of him just softly smiling at me...assuring me that everything is going to be okay...it makes me doubt if I made the right decision. I know he's dead. Irene wouldn't let each other coexist in the same universe, let alone in Ru'an. He's dead because I couldn't stay to fight. Quill is there, probably in chains, similar to what Zane went through...because I didn't wait longer. I should've just let Degory, Nate, and him leave while I stayed to maybe distract Irene or-

"Ella,", Grey said, snapping me out of my thoughts. He took my hand gently and said; "he'll be fine. If he's been alive as long as you, he's not going down without a fight."